Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Secrets
08-12-2017, 08:44 AM,
RE: Secrets
(08-11-2017, 03:34 PM)Hammertime Wrote:
(08-11-2017, 02:47 PM)Indy Wrote:
(08-11-2017, 02:09 PM)rmannaa Wrote: Whatever Mr. Fenn wants, Mr Fenn gets.

Yep, he's earned that right. I won't even try and argue that life would be easier without the crazies ringing his door bell at 1am because it's his chase. But the chest would be toxic in the future if it was revealed that you had it and so I would return all collectibles and only keep the gold. That would satisfy my own need for a second place finisher to forgive my not revealing the find. The chest and collectible items are still worth a lot.

I could not and would not take the entire chest and skip leaving a great second prize because that is cruel to all. (in the case where I don't reveal the find.)

Whoooo Hoooo! Everyone gets a trophy philosophy. Its my favorite.

Is there mental process missing in your 1300cc brain. I stated that if I didn't announce the treasure is found I would want there to be something left for the eventual second place finder because that is the decent thing to do. There is nothing in that statement about getting a participation award. It's actually covering my ass so that if I was ever found out the entire chase community won't kill me. I have news for some, if you don't reveal it's found and people spend years looking for the chest that if you ever reveal it in the future you will be harms way. The 7% (which is actually 50% in this chase) will track you down and bring bodily harm to you for allowing them to waste all those years (and money) searching. And if anyone died in that time span then you would have angry family members as well.

I can tell you right now that if some parent dies while searching for a treasure that had actually been discovered years before that revenge could become a factor for a son or daughter. I read the news every day and people are killed for far less and people seek revenge for far far less than that. Sorry for the explicit language but some on here are just plain stupid and apparently don't interact with enough of the 7% to know what they are capable of. Good luck if you ever find and don't let anyone know.

But unless Fenn told me not to tell, then I'm sending him the bracelet and going public. I'm not scared of anyone if I legitimately find it, but god help anyone who keeps it quiet and then gets caught selling a piece of the collection. There are people moving to the Rockies, quitting jobs, spending their life savings, and finding ways to die out there. That's not a recipe for a friendly reception if it turns out you had found it and just never announced it. But if you leave the chest and collectibles minus the gold, then you can't get caught!

That's hardly a participation award situation. It's self-preservation!
08-12-2017, 09:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-12-2017, 09:02 AM by The Count.)
Indy,
I would say anyone who thinks spending time in the wilderness (and subsequent money) is a waste of time, this is not the hunt for them. Which means there just looking for a quick payday which obviously the chase is not that.

Crazies are going to fall out of the wood work regardless of the decision from the finder, probably claiming you used there info and found it, or tons of other lunatic ideas. This is why it would be in the best interest for the finder to remain anonymous.

There could be a rather large difference in the outcome of the chase if Fenn is still around when the chest is found.

Remember, stay safe in the mountains

down with the evil twin

08-12-2017, 05:02 PM,
(08-12-2017, 09:00 AM)The Count Wrote: Indy,
I would say anyone who thinks spending time in the wilderness (and subsequent money) is a waste of time, this is not the hunt for them. Which means there just looking for a quick payday which obviously the chase is not that.

Crazies are going to fall out of the wood work regardless of the decision from the finder, probably claiming you used there info and found it, or tons of other lunatic ideas. This is why it would be in the best interest for the finder to remain anonymous.

There could be a rather large difference in the outcome of the chase if Fenn is still around when the chest is found.

I agree 100%.
Example: In Philly a city bus was heading to the garage for maintenance when it crashed into a lamp post. It was mentioned on the news that night. The next day 29 people claimed that they were injured on the bus by the crash, and were seeking damages. Video cameras on the bus showed that no one was on the bus, only the driver. ALL 29 people who filed claims were arrested and charged with fraud. True story!
08-12-2017, 06:04 PM,
OK sorry to be a drag and long…This string just got me actually really think about this topic. Most of us have fuzzy concepts of how it would go down- so I started to write it out and then new ideas just kept popping up I hadn’t considered… (sorry- my non-meek side is showing)

1. The finding of the chest must be announced as common decency. Too much is invested by too many folks. Cruel otherwise.

2. Sorry to be a buzz kill, but there is no second place, as in leaving behind parts of treasures in the spot to continue the chase. This thing already took lives and discussions of ending it has been on the table- why would it be continued when a clean ending can be had? As the finder, I want no part of anyone else getting injured looking for second place (my identity known or not). That would put out bait for people to really track you down and hound you for clues forever. The Chase ends… then history takes over and writes the story… don’t dilute it.

3. Trying to hide and secretly sell off bits of the treasure is a mistake (see # 7, 8 ). I worked too hard to build a career and reputation to have the government come after me for tax evasion. That option is unpalatable.

4. Keeping your identity hidden will not be easy. You may be able to for a while, with a lawyer fronting for you. But if anyone including your kids knows – it will get out eventually. If you are not a strong soul- it may be tough. But with most of 15 minutes of fame…the crazy could last a while or die after the next big news story hits. Could be a huge bust at the end where it gets a run of articles and then dies and all over…or the interest just never seems to end-can’t predict.

5. If your identity gets compromised, always make it clear you do not have physical possession of the chest. Let the public think what they may, to reduce the crazies desire to seek you out until all the publicity dies. Hopefully only the media will then want a bite of you to get your story first and again you can use a middleman. Whether true or not… if they think it is in the banks possession, government has it for assessment or you gave it back to Fenn temporarily until things could be settled…that reduces the risk to you.

6. Unless the finder is willing to go public at some point…the story line that the “treasure is a hoax” will never end. In fact, it will grow with conspiracies that Mr. Fenn staged the end and finding of the chest. Especially after this year’s deaths, he will want peace for his family and does not want to leave any lose ends for them. There has to be a wind down period where he can bask in the finale. You get the treasure- but in exchange, you validate that the ending was real and help extract Mr. Fenn and his family from all the conjecture and lock in his legacy.

7. Fenn labored over the contents of this thing. The chest AND contents are his legacy too. I think his desire would be to keep it intact as humanly possible and find some way to do that. Don’t even open the jar for a contracted time. They will need the chest and contents for the movie to design the props off of…LOL.

8. If the chest could be kept intact- it would have more value as an attraction. Breaking apart is short sighted and the good you may be able to do with any money you generate is diminished significantly. If you can get past the taxes deal and still possess all the contents, then you have time. People would much rather travel go see the chest and its contents than a place in the woods where it was found… make that the draw. Maybe somewhere that already has tourists and things to do as well.

9. I believe Fenn would like the location to be kept secret…to keep the mystery alive, maybe to protect the local population from disruption, or worried it won’t live up to the hype. Again, that ties into your identity being exposed. You will never have peace with that secret. Are there levels of disclosure that would satisfy? (State it was in, closest city)… maybe. I don’t think if it ever really got out, it would be stampeded by ghosts of past treasure hunters, once the lure of the treasure is gone…it becomes just a special place to Fenn and the finder. Why would anyone- other than the media really want to go there (that costs more money). What makes it special to Mr. Fenn can’t be judged. It will be all good.

10. To prevent others from claiming you stole their clues…maybe before anything is disclosed like details such as the “State it was in” is disclosed…everyone is allowed to post their solves. Let people have their voice. See who has or does not have to eat their hat after years of being sure they had a clue right. Maybe Fenn/finder would offer a small token as second place. Allow a cushion time to still be involved in the chase, talk about it, and come to grips with the understanding it is over. Some searchers will need the five steps of grief to process the ending. There needs to be a wind down period.

11. Everyone all seems to be about “community” on these blogs- but the minute they discuss finding the chest …they decide they will secret off and hide and leave everyone in the dark. People will need closure to move on after this thing ends…have some compassion.

All of this IMO ...feel free to have other opinions...
08-12-2017, 06:21 PM,
Secrets
I don think it will be the finders call. Ff will know, he has planned for everything and has already said he will know.

Kpro

Email: kpro3@aol.com
08-12-2017, 06:24 PM,
(08-12-2017, 06:21 PM)Kpro Wrote: I don think it will be the finders call. Ff will know, he has planned for everything and has already said he will know.

Kpro

Well Kpro, what happens if Fenn is no longer around when it is found? If he thought of everything he surely thought of this especially with the age he was when he hid it.

Remember, stay safe in the mountains

down with the evil twin

08-12-2017, 06:48 PM,
Secrets
(08-12-2017, 06:24 PM)The Count Wrote:
(08-12-2017, 06:21 PM)Kpro Wrote: I don think it will be the finders call. Ff will know, he has planned for everything and has already said he will know.

Kpro

Well Kpro, what happens if Fenn is no longer around when it is found? If he thought of everything he surely thought of this especially with the age he was when he hid it.

I have thought about that. I think someone will take over the final logistics. Maybe a family member, maybe a lawyer, maybe an executor. Not sure how to have them take care of these things without telling them the solve, but I am sure he has thought it through and has figured out a way.

I think it will be interesting to see if it is announced who is taking over.

Kpro

08-12-2017, 07:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-12-2017, 07:44 PM by bitbucket.)
Don't know about anyone else but #8 has been my thinking. Taxes could be tough but manageable for some, especially with prospect of it creating ongoing revenue down the road. Investments of every type are a burden at the beginning. Share it with the world but still ultimately yours to treasure. Breaking it up would be profoundly stupid, IMO. Sum of the whole is greater than that of its parts, sort of thing. As long as there are no complications with allah, man, (per history) I think your suggestions are wise and agreeable.

Also, the closure that Mr Fenn would want and of which you speak is understandable. Anything left behind would likely ruin the point of the chase..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
08-13-2017, 04:18 AM,
(08-12-2017, 07:30 PM)bitbucket Wrote: Don't know about anyone else but #8 has been my thinking. Taxes could be tough but manageable for some, especially with prospect of it creating ongoing revenue down the road. Investments of every type are a burden at the beginning. Share it with the world but still ultimately yours to treasure. Breaking it up would be profoundly stupid, IMO. Sum of the whole is greater than that of its parts, sort of thing. As long as there are no complications with allah, man, (per history) I think your suggestions are wise and agreeable.

Also, the closure that Mr Fenn would want and of which you speak is understandable. Anything left behind would likely ruin the point of the chase..

The taxes issue would necessarily involve forrest, if my past experience serves as any guide. I'm not sure how that would work but less giggle up-front might lead to more giggle out back...or something indecently similar. There's a capital Win.

08-15-2017, 05:04 AM,
Secrets
At)!//az a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Secrets I KEEP MY SECRETS 6 1,080 12-17-2016, 01:14 PM
Last Post: DeeepThnkr
  Birds and secrets oh my..... admin 30 8,320 11-24-2015, 12:26 PM
Last Post: wishiIwasRich
  Secrets of San Lazaro.... glock20 2 1,220 08-17-2015, 10:17 PM