Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
!st Stanza?
08-11-2017, 09:55 PM,
!st Stanza?
Hi Everyone,

I have been in the chase for only about 6 months. I have 4 solves, 2 of which I have enough confidence in to start planning a trip to the area. I don't believe that I have a correct solve but feel like I have to check it out so that I will have no regrets. A few recent posts has me re-thinking a few things. I have read this poem many times daily over the last 6 months but don't get or see any clue's to the Treasures location in the 1st stanza. I would like to hear your opinions. The 1st Stanza has a really deep meaning to me from forest but has nothing to do with my following the poem to the Treasure. I believe that I know why Forrest wrote this as his first Stanza but again it didn't help at all with my solve. What am I missing. Thanks for your input.
08-11-2017, 10:03 PM,
!st Stanza?
I think it all begins with wwwh. Many disagree. You will receive lots of varying opinions on this, but nobody has the TC so you have to go with what feels right to you.

Kpro

Email: kpro3@aol.com
08-11-2017, 10:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-11-2017, 11:19 PM by realistrealist.)
RE: !st Stanza?
(08-11-2017, 09:55 PM)Number 9 Wrote: Hi Everyone,

I have been in the chase for only about 6 months. I have 4 solves, 2 of which I have enough confidence in to start planning a trip to the area. I don't believe that I have a correct solve but feel like I have to check it out so that I will have no regrets. A few recent posts has me re-thinking a few things. I have read this poem many times daily over the last 6 months but don't get or see any clue's to the Treasures location in the 1st stanza. I would like to hear your opinions. The 1st Stanza has a really deep meaning to me from forest but has nothing to do with my following the poem to the Treasure. I believe that I know why Forrest wrote this as his first Stanza but again it didn't help at all with my solve. What am I missing. Thanks for your input.

Posted elsewhere, but here are some thoughts. Poetry is as much about diction, rhyme, and use of conventions to evoke meanings as it is about the actual words.

Line 1:

Odd addition of "as" - use of "as" potentially pointing to different voice other than his own; potentially pointing to stanzas 5 and 6 via "as I" being key to "so" and "so" - both stanzas sharing subject "I"/Fenn while others (2,3,4) share searcher being subject.

In there - what is in referring to? Country, river, park, lake, cave, book, etc.?

Line 2:

Use of "treasures" - is he speaking about two things? Longest word in the poem. Plural for a reason? Was he on trip with wife or is he referring to something else he treasures? Perhaps his father's ashes on a return trip to the final place he visited in Yellowstone with his father? Why did Olga want her ashes on Taos Mountain?

"bold" - a clue or hint? Bold because he was heading into dangerous region (bears/mountain lion) or terrain? Or speaking about way point? Is he being bold in taking the risk of transporting the treasure a long distance by plane? Or simply talking about driving? Same rhyme is seen in stanza 1 and stanza 6 potentially pointing to stanza 5 being the start with stanza 1 being a continuation from stanza 6.

Line 3:

"secret where" - odd diction again; creating pattern of putting adverbs and adjectives at end of lines (hinting Spanish?); line seems questioning in nature like he is navigating/blazing/piloting somewhere (like Pilot Peak); potentially drawing attention to where to hint at ware (anything related to silver, pottery, etc.)

Line 4:

This seems to contradict line 3 and confirm second voice... if line 3 is questioning where, why/how can he hint of riches old?

"hint" - is this saying all lines corresponding to "I"/Fenn are hints to location? Fenn uses separate definitions for "hint" and "clue"

"riches new and old" - many possibilities - gold mine/treasure; marriage... a gift new and a gift old; childhood memories/treasure; book/treasure, New Mexico, etc.

In regards to my own assumptions regarding the chase - there is no way to be confident in a solve without mapping it back to the book or some other source (with 100% confirmation). Since Forrest essentially says no higher amount of knowledge is needed outside of the poem, a "good map", and the book, I believe it's a fair assumption to make.
08-11-2017, 10:40 PM,
Thanks - Just what I was looking for. a lot to chew on there.
08-11-2017, 11:13 PM,
!st Stanza?
I think everyone here has had multiple solves or at minimum forks in the road. The solution is by trial and error finding where the pieces fit and continue studies. If you would like to know 'some' of what I did was to assume that I have never even had a 'complete' solve. I know what I think the blaze might be but won't be 100% until it reveals it self. I didn't spend to much time at any one location making 3 trips to the states of my list of possible solves to see what fit and what didn't and returned to the ones I did not eliminate to apply what I had added or taken away from these locations. And let me tell you there is a whole heck of a lot more info nowadays some good some not so.....it's almost become a riddle unto itself. Happy Trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
08-12-2017, 06:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-12-2017, 06:36 AM by Jack.)
(08-11-2017, 10:28 PM)realistrealist Wrote:

Posted elsewhere, but here are some thoughts. Poetry is as much about diction, rhyme, and use of conventions to evoke meanings as it is about the actual words.

Line 1:

Odd addition of "as" - use of "as" potentially pointing to different voice other than his own; potentially pointing to stanzas 5 and 6 via "as I" being key to "so" and "so" - both stanzas sharing subject "I"/Fenn while others (2,3,4) share searcher being subject.

In there - what is in referring to? Country, river, park, lake, cave, book, etc.?

Line 2:

Use of "treasures" - is he speaking about two things? Longest word in the poem. Plural for a reason? Was he on trip with wife or is he referring to something else he treasures? Perhaps his father's ashes on a return trip to the final place he visited in Yellowstone with his father? Why did Olga want her ashes on Taos Mountain?

"bold" - a clue or hint? Bold because he was heading into dangerous region (bears/mountain lion) or terrain? Or speaking about way point? Is he being bold in taking the risk of transporting the treasure a long distance by plane? Or simply talking about driving? Same rhyme is seen in stanza 1 and stanza 6 potentially pointing to stanza 5 being the start with stanza 1 being a continuation from stanza 6.

Line 3:

"secret where" - odd diction again; creating pattern of putting adverbs and adjectives at end of lines (hinting Spanish?); line seems questioning in nature like he is navigating/blazing/piloting somewhere (like Pilot Peak); potentially drawing attention to where to hint at ware (anything related to silver, pottery, etc.)

Line 4:

This seems to contradict line 3 and confirm second voice... if line 3 is questioning where, why/how can he hint of riches old?

"hint" - is this saying all lines corresponding to "I"/Fenn are hints to location? Fenn uses separate definitions for "hint" and "clue"

"riches new and old" - many possibilities - gold mine/treasure; marriage... a gift new and a gift old; childhood memories/treasure; book/treasure, New Mexico, etc.

In regards to my own assumptions regarding the chase - there is no way to be confident in a solve without mapping it back to the book or some other source (with 100% confirmation). Since Forrest essentially says no higher amount of knowledge is needed outside of the poem, a "good map", and the book, I believe it's a fair assumption to make.
Realist, you nailed it. This is the line of thinking that will eventually lead to the solution, IMO. There are two parallel stories being told in the poem, two narrators telling their stories, one new story and one old story, both set in the same location. Thus when you discover who the other narrator is and his story, you have discovered the location.

He has emphasized repeatedly the importance of knowing where to start, the first clue, starting at the right place, etc. As Realist points out, the stanza 1 is giving you the hints that the place to start is stanza 5. "As above, so below". The second story begins with the question in stanza 5. The poem has the musical structure of a canon, perhaps hinted at with the phrase "take in the canyon (canon) down." A canon is two voices singing the same song but beginning at different places. Take it in the canon down to stanza 5. In stanza 6, the second voice is pleading for our attention to discover his story. "So hear me all and listen good."
08-12-2017, 10:25 AM,
(08-11-2017, 10:28 PM)realistrealist Wrote: [quote='Number 9' pid='168499' dateline='1502506519']
Hi Everyone,

I believe your assumption is wrong.

Read the poem again with an open mind and ask yourself, "what is he hinting at?" Disregard any book, blog, forum or any knowledge of the hunt and ask yourself "what is the poem hinting at?"

Your answer may surprise you.

He says " I can keep my secret where and hint of riches new and old". Is he saying that where he hints of riches is also where he can keep his secret?
08-12-2017, 04:50 PM,
I think one of the things stanza one is telling you is that you need to pay attention to tenses. We have been told that wwwh is clue one, and that it is the hardest and most important, but not to disregard anything. Stanza four is almost parenthetical, you can't do it until after five and six. Another reminder to look close at tenses.
08-12-2017, 08:47 PM,
"He says " I can keep my secret where and hint of riches new and old". Is he saying that where he hints of riches is also where he can keep his secret?"

Follow it in order. He is alone "in there" and is looking for some"where" (in there) he can hide his secret AND hint of riches new and old.

Perhaps stanza 1 is simply establishing the book (TTOTC) and a specific chapter within the book (My War for Me) as the place where he is hinting of riches new and old. His secret is hidden within the poem. Or maybe its simply a park, range, etc.
08-12-2017, 09:08 PM,
(08-11-2017, 10:28 PM)realistrealist Wrote:

Line 1:

Line 2:

Line 3:

Line 4:

As i have gone alone in there (i say its either a dry creek bed which is where he buried the chest or more likely his vault)

and with my treasurs bold (gotta be bold to actually go through with giving away a multimillion dollar trove),

i can keep my secrets where (in the chest; its referring to his treasures),

and hint at riches new and old ( each different piece of treasure is representing one of his secrets!)

And then second stanza begins tge directions...

But those pieces in his treasure represents cibola the 7 cities of gold... The gold dust represents eldorado, the chief of the incans would cover himself in gold dust and bathe in lake guatavita. It takes to long to point out all of them... But if u look in the roght places youll find some amazing information. It sounds soooo outlandish, that nobody will even believe it, but hey! Maybe thats a good thing?!?!?!?! Muahahahaha