Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 1.89 Average
THE HINTS- VITAL TO SUCCESS
05-31-2018, 02:27 PM,
RE: THE HINTS- VITAL TO SUCCESS
Someone wants a new puzzle? OK, I will start one on a new thread. Just for fun.
06-06-2018, 06:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-06-2018, 06:30 AM by fundamental design.)
I still haven’t heard an intelligent response ever from any poem purists about the quote below from f. It is from the Moby Dickens video 11/2/13 (44:10 minutes in). In a hysterical happening, I remember SeanNM blowing a gasket because I posted the quote and he couldn’t handle it. It’s like he thought I was labeling poem purists that don’t look for hints in ttotc as non serious searchers when really it is f that has used those words. F has said similar quotes to this a few times and he has mentioned that it is his best advice. No getting around that Sean and Mdavis.

....There are no clues in this book, but there are some hints. What I tell people to do, if you’re really serious about looking for the treasure, get the Thrill of The Chase and read it. And then go back and read the poem over and over and over again. And then go back and read the book again, but slowly looking at every little abstract thing that might catch up in your brain. That might be a hint to help you with the clues. Any part of some, is better than no part of any....
I think that will do the trick!
06-06-2018, 08:09 AM,
I guess I'm a 'poem purist' because I haven't read any of the books. Anyway I mentioned this in another thread a while back but there's so many things in the book that could be a potential hint. IMO the actual hints (in TTOTC) are not readily apparent or useful unless you already know the physical location of each clue in the poem. FF obviously has this knowledge so he's overstating how useful the 'hints' are to searchers who have no knowledge of the location(s) in the poem.
06-06-2018, 09:41 AM,
THE HINTS- VITAL TO SUCCESS
One thing that I still have a problem with is that Forrest said there was an unintended hint in TFTW, and he said it wasn't the map. Then he said that the map stops at Canada. Was this an intentional mistake like when he said "se-five thousand feet." He seemed to be saying that there is another unintended hint in TFTW that no one has mentioned.

It's my speculation that there is a tangent that wasn't originally considered when he crafted the poem. If this is the case, there is a huge hint in TFTW. It's so huge that I just don't believe it.

razyfamily
06-06-2018, 09:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-06-2018, 10:10 AM by fundamental design.)
(06-06-2018, 09:41 AM)crazyfamily Wrote: One thing that I still have a problem with is that Forrest said there was an unintended hint in TFTW, and he said it wasn't the map. Then he said that the map stops at Canada. Was this an intentional mistake like when he said "se-five thousand feet." He seemed to be saying that there is another unintended hint in TFTW that no one has mentioned.

It's my speculation that there is a tangent that wasn't originally considered when he crafted the poem. If this is the case, there is a huge hint in TFTW. It's so huge that I just don't believe it.

razyfamily

F did say right before the quote I pasted that they’re hints in the TFTW book. You might want to watch at the 43:00 mark.

(06-06-2018, 08:09 AM)J Smith Wrote: I guess I'm a 'poem purist' because I haven't read any of the books. Anyway I mentioned this in another thread a while back but there's so many things in the book that could be a potential hint. IMO the actual hints (in TTOTC) are not readily apparent or useful unless you already know the physical location of each clue in the poem. FF obviously has this knowledge so he's overstating how useful the 'hints' are to searchers who have no knowledge of the location(s) in the poem.

I’ve said this before but I’m not afraid that many things in ttotc book can potentially be hints. Why? Because there’s even more things that potentially can be the clue solutions in the poem. Poem purists never bring that up when they try to make that case.

I’ve also said I don’t think the hints (in TTOTC) are not readily apparent or useful unless you already know the physical location of each clue in the poem. I don’t believe that you solve some of the clues in the poem to then get confirmation from hints. Using that approach only discounts the clues in the poem that the poem purists are actually praising...doesn’t make sense. Using hints that way messes up the continuity of the clues that f has talked about. If a hint is to be helpful between, for example, clue 2 and 3 then it has to be called a clue cause it got you closer than clue 2. I think the confirmation purpose of hints has to be utilized before clue 1 (the correct wwwh).
06-06-2018, 11:34 AM,
(06-06-2018, 06:29 AM)fundamental design Wrote: I still haven’t heard an intelligent response ever from any poem purists about the quote below from f. It is from the Moby Dickens video 11/2/13 (44:10 minutes in). In a hysterical happening, I remember SeanNM blowing a gasket because I posted the quote and he couldn’t handle it. It’s like he thought I was labeling poem purists that don’t look for hints in ttotc as non serious searchers when really it is f that has used those words. F has said similar quotes to this a few times and he has mentioned that it is his best advice. No getting around that Sean and Mdavis.

....There are no clues in this book, but there are some hints. What I tell people to do, if you’re really serious about looking for the treasure, get the Thrill of The Chase and read it. And then go back and read the poem over and over and over again. And then go back and read the book again, but slowly looking at every little abstract thing that might catch up in your brain. That might be a hint to help you with the clues. Any part of some, is better than no part of any....
Fundamental design,

I believe that you and I only disagree on the level of importance of the hints in the book. I believe you see them as vital, although Forrest only says they can help one with the clues, and I personally see them as too much noise that may lead to an overwhelming amount of confirmation bias. And maybe neither of us is right, who can yet say?

Now we all can agree that there are, without any doubt, hints that can help one with the clues in the poem, because Forrest has said that many times, even in his best advice he tells us to look for them in his book. But if we cannot, with any level of certainty, identify what those hints are within the 28,000 +/- words in the book, how can we even then understand how they are the supposed to"help" us? (that's a rhetorical question) I mean has Forrest not told us that we cannot know that we have the first clue correct until we have the treasure, then is it not fair to infer that we then cannot know with any certainty what those subtle hints are within the book prior to discovering the chest?

Sure it is fun to theorize or go down the myriad of rabbit holes that those believed hints may provide, because they educate us in so many ways, but, in my opinion, if one bases the foundation of their solve upon what they believe is a subtle hint/clue in the book, then they may find cracks in that foundation. So I am personally of the belief that the best way to mitigate confirmation bias, is to solely focus on the words in the poem, and yes while I can quote nearly all of Forrest written and spoken words, they are not the foundation of my solve, only the 166 words in the poem are. Is my method the right way or the easiest, who the heck knows for sure?

Again, I believe you and I only disagree on the level of importance of the subtle hints/clues in the book. And while my methodology to solving this maybe different than yours, is does not take away from how you go about solving it, I just chose to limit the amount of what I call noise.

Seannm
06-06-2018, 11:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-06-2018, 11:58 AM by dude here.)
Sure, your search for hints in the book will lead you down some rabbit holes. It is unavoidable. All chasers will go down some rabbit holes.

But will ignoring book hints make it any easier? That is the wrong question. Mr F says the person who solves it will have put a lot of effort into it. No one will stumble on it. He recommends you read the poem many times and look carefully, meticulously through the book for hints. He's telling us how to do it. You have to work for it. There are no shortcuts.

Look for the hints he gave us. Do it systematically. Do it like you are studying for an exam.
06-06-2018, 12:07 PM,
(06-06-2018, 11:58 AM)dude here Wrote: Sure, your search for hints in the book will lead you down some rabbit holes. It is unavoidable. All chasers will go down some rabbit holes.

But will ignoring book hints make it any easier? That is the wrong question. Mr F says the person who solves it will have put a lot of effort into it. No one will stumble on it. He recommends you read the poem many times and look carefully, meticulously through the book for hints. He's telling us how to do it. You have to work for it. There are no shortcuts.

Look for the hints he gave us. Do it systematically. Do it like you are studying for an exam.
dude here,

I have personally gone down many rabbit holes, based upon things I felt were hints in the book, and have had several solves that revolved around them. So I speak from my experiences as to why I now chose to cut out what I call noise. For me it is the best way to mitigate confirmation bias, you cannot eliminate bias completely, even if you stick with just the poem, but I believe you can greatly reduce the chances of confirmation bias by doing so.

Just different approaches, and neither is wrong.

Seannm
06-06-2018, 03:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-06-2018, 04:11 PM by fundamental design.)
(06-06-2018, 11:34 AM)Seannm Wrote:
(06-06-2018, 06:29 AM)fundamental design Wrote: I still haven’t heard an intelligent response ever from any poem purists about the quote below from f. It is from the Moby Dickens video 11/2/13 (44:10 minutes in). In a hysterical happening, I remember SeanNM blowing a gasket because I posted the quote and he couldn’t handle it. It’s like he thought I was labeling poem purists that don’t look for hints in ttotc as non serious searchers when really it is f that has used those words. F has said similar quotes to this a few times and he has mentioned that it is his best advice. No getting around that Sean and Mdavis.

Fundamental design,

I believe that you and I only disagree on the level of importance of the hints in the book. I believe you see them as vital, although Forrest only says they can help one with the clues, and I personally see them as too much noise that may lead to an overwhelming amount of confirmation bias. And maybe neither of us is right, who can yet say?

Now we all can agree that there are, without any doubt, hints that can help one with the clues in the poem, because Forrest has said that many times, even in his best advice he tells us to look for them in his book. But if we cannot, with any level of certainty, identify what those hints are within the 28,000 +/- words in the book, how can we even then understand how they are the supposed to"help" us? (that's a rhetorical question) I mean has Forrest not told us that we cannot know that we have the first clue correct until we have the treasure, then is it not fair to infer that we then cannot know with any certainty what those subtle hints are within the book prior to discovering the chest?

Sure it is fun to theorize or go down the myriad of rabbit holes that those believed hints may provide, because they educate us in so many ways, but, in my opinion, if one bases the foundation of their solve upon what they believe is a subtle hint/clue in the book, then they may find cracks in that foundation. So I am personally of the belief that the best way to mitigate confirmation bias, is to solely focus on the words in the poem, and yes while I can quote nearly all of Forrest written and spoken words, they are not the foundation of my solve, only the 166 words in the poem are. Is my method the right way or the easiest, who the heck knows for sure?

Again, I believe you and I only disagree on the level of importance of the subtle hints/clues in the book. And while my methodology to solving this maybe different than yours, is does not take away from how you go about solving it, I just chose to limit the amount of what I call noise.

Seannm

Seannm, I’ve been clear to say that I think the hints are vital. I haven’t differentiated between the book hints and a possible hint in the poem. That’s because I think they are a packaged deal. My bet is that the hints in the book point to the same, correct geographical location as a hint in the poem then one finds wwwh. That seems like an intelligent way to massively cut down rabbit holes and brings the book hints and poem hint (if there) together. Sometimes you got to think how would you design something like the Chase that makes sense and allows confidence. Guess I picked the right screen name.

I’ve also mentioned I think the actual hints (if ever released to the public) will be the only thing involved with the mystery of the proper solution that won’t be subjective or cause me to fear confirmation bias. It’s possible that f figured this out before he finished designing the Chase.

I’m not sure how to interpret f words that the hints help with the clues as a bad thing. To me, it’s not about that there’s more words in the book than in the poem so I’ll choose the less worded route. For it’s the amount of places that the poem words can be describing...hundreds of billions of choices in theory that that approach ultimately entails. Again, f knows this and we all know that. It’s the final outcome that ultimately matters in each search. So far, all searches using hints and clues or just clues have not brought home the tc. That’s comparing apples to apples. From that result, the best advice from the puzzle setter is my route.
06-06-2018, 04:08 PM,
(06-06-2018, 03:57 PM)fundamental design Wrote:
(06-06-2018, 11:34 AM)Seannm Wrote:

Fundamental design,

Seannm

Seannm, I’ve been clear to say that I think the hints are vital. I haven’t differentiated between the book hints and a possible hint in the poem. I’ve also said my bet is that the hints in the book point to the same, correct geographical location as a hint in the poem. That seems like an intelligent way to massively cut down rabbit holes. Sometimes you got to think how would you design something like the Chase that makes sense and allows confidence. Guess I picked the right screen name.

I’ve also mentioned I think the actual hints (if ever released to the public) will be the only thing involved with the mystery of the proper solution that won’t be subjective or cause me to fear confirmation bias. It’s possible that f figured this out before he finished designing the Chase.

I’m not sure how to interpret f words that the hints help with the clues as a bad thing. To me, it’s not about that there’s more words in the book than in the poem so I’ll choose the less worded route. For it’s the amount of places that the poem words can be describing...hundreds of billions of choices in theory that that approach ultimately entails. Again, f knows this and we all know that. It’s the final outcome that ultimately matters in each search. So far, all searches using hints and clues or just clues have not brought home the tc. That’s comparing apples to apples. From that result, the best advice from the puzzle setter is my route.
Fundamental design,

Anything is possible, good luck to you.

Seannm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Path To Success Silentfly 75 26,972 07-14-2016, 10:20 PM
Last Post: Silentfly
  Success Box decall 6 2,608 10-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Buddy Allen
  The Book contains so many hints & clues, its ridiculous OR Are Forrests hints common to every place hes been ? SantaFe 23 9,079 03-06-2014, 12:29 AM
Last Post: deb