Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why would you need to disclose where you found the chest?
09-13-2017, 12:18 PM,
Why would you need to disclose where you found the chest?
1.) It's not illegal to possess the treasure or sell it.

2.) Your 5th amendment right protects you from having to incriminate yourself.

3.) Exercising your 5th amendment right makes establishing jurisdiction impossible. Feds can't do anything because they can't prove it wasn't on state, city or private property. The four states can't do anything because they can't prove it was hidden in thier state or wasn't on federal or private and. The burden of proof is in thier hands.

4.) Fenn has given the finder the treasure. This is establised fact. Sets it apart from trying to claim other treasures where transfer of ownership isn't established.

5.) The IRS doesn't require the location to be disclosed. All they need is the provenance which is easy to prove. Your local and state collectors don't require the location to be disclosed either. The passing of ownership is all that needs to be established for tax purposes. I would think that there's more than enough proof that Fenn is passing ownership to the finder but I wouldn't doubt that there's something in the chest that further sets your right to the property in stone.

You can't be forced to talk and your property can't legally be seized and kept without proof of wrongdoing.

Obviously, it's best to consult a lawyer but imo the above is a pretty safe bet.
09-13-2017, 12:31 PM,
RE: Why would you need to disclose where you found the chest?
hand them the poem and tell them to figure it out
09-13-2017, 12:33 PM,
To assure searchers, who've invested time and money to look for the tc, that the chase was on the up-and-up and that the finder was legitimate, he'd have to tell where the chest had been hidden. Unless the finder doesn't care about ff's legacy or likes to leave searchers twisting in the wind.
09-13-2017, 12:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-13-2017, 06:37 PM by The Count.)
Good to see you posting again lucky Smile

There may be a couple reasons why you may have to disclose where you found it and provide proof, the first is if someone else has proof that the chest was found on there private property and wants to claim the chest to be there's. In this case its best to provide your proof to ensure you can keep it if you discovered it on public property if not the whole matter could be tied up in litigation in the courts for years, depending on property lines if the chest is found even close to private property it could pose a problem.

The other reason I'm not to sure of you would need to consult a tax professional for a correct answer, but you may not only owe fed taxes but also state taxes on the find, uncle Sam always wants his share. To pay the state taxes it might be the state it was found in.

Probably a few more reasons if I really thought it out..

down with the evil twin

09-13-2017, 05:14 PM,
not sure about the other states but Montana has no state income tax.
09-13-2017, 05:17 PM,
(09-13-2017, 05:14 PM)emmett Wrote: not sure about the other states but Montana has no state income tax.

Montana has no sales tax, except for some local areas that impose one (like Flathead Lake area); their income tax is 6.9% (over $15,601).

It's Wyoming that has no income tax.
09-14-2017, 06:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2017, 06:34 AM by LuckyLove.)
Hi pidmt, lol...that's perfect *

Hi resa, we're all in this knowing we may never know. Imo, the decent thing to do is to announce the find with pics and video so people don't risk injury and stop spending thier time and money looking. If I find it I doubt I'll ever reveal the location while I'm living. Unless I decide not to recover it and instead auction the information that leads directly to it.

Hi Count, Smile I've thought about that. I'm not too concerned, win or lose in court, they still wouldn't get a penny. The finder has until the April of the following year to claim the transfer. The only state and local taxes that need to be paid are the ones where the finder is a resident. The collectors aren't legally allowed to release a private citizens tax filings without a subpoena and if you don't reveal your identity to the general public then who's records would they subpoena? Nobody worth worrying about would know your identity. Still up in the air though, about just auctioning the information leading to the location should I find it, rather than recovering it myself.

***Excuse typos etc... Using the browser on my phone...refuse to use Tapatalk.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will the chest be found in the 2018 search season? The Count 7 822 11-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Last Post: LuckyLove
  Will the chest be found 2017 search season? The Count 24 6,344 09-07-2017, 12:45 PM
Last Post: ROLL TIDE
  When the chest is found, what should be done? delayah 6 1,242 06-29-2017, 08:33 PM
Last Post: RahRah
  Do you think it's likely that the chest has already been found? GoneAlone 36 7,576 06-26-2017, 06:56 AM
Last Post: delayah
  Do you think Fenn wants the chest to be found soon? GoneAlone 17 4,553 06-22-2017, 09:31 AM
Last Post: illinoisghost
  CHEST HAS BEEN FOUND!!!!! PRESS CONFERENCE PENDING!!! glock20 35 8,150 09-22-2016, 07:46 PM
Last Post: azuredeb