Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
relocating to santa fe
10-04-2017, 04:20 PM,
RE: relocating to santa fe
If I had to choose, I'd go to Colorado personally. I like Santa Fe, don't get me wrong, but Colorado is more my style if I had to pick somewhere to move. But even in Colorado, I'd be pretty picky - we (as in general we) have fouled so much of the land and water that you need to be careful where you consider moving when you're heading west. For example, one of our favorite places is Durango; and for a while we considered retiring there, but decided against it because of all the mine tailings that have fouled the area badly.
10-04-2017, 05:36 PM,
ABQ is a dying city, imo. I lived there for 10 years (2004 to 2014). We lived on the west side of town near Cottonwood Mall - and apparently this mall and surrounding area are hurting as well.

The brand new neighborhood we enjoyed in 2007 quickly degraded to lots of rental houses and foreclosures. Next thing you know, my wife and I were assaulted (aggravated assault) while taking a Sunday afternoon walk through the seemingly benign neighborhood (right next to a playground full of young kids) - luckily we didn't get hurt, but lots of cars were damaged in broad daylight by a gang of thugs.

ABQ is a sanctuary city. I'm not saying this to be political, just stating a fact. People in the rest of the country can think what they want, but we have personally experienced the horrible ramification of this first-hand. Have you ever experienced the threat of being run over by speeding coyotes while going for a jog?

ABQ is also a horrible place to raise a family. Take a look at their ranking for education - pathetic. One caveat - our elementary school was outstanding, but I think that was a fluke for this city.

We moved to Kansas in 2014, and although I miss the mountains tremendously, it was the best decision I've ever made for my family.

I can't speak much about Santa Fe other than to say it just seemed to me to be a smaller version of ABQ.

Good luck!

Milan
10-04-2017, 08:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-04-2017, 08:37 PM by brubr.)
I have lived in Albuquerque for the last 30 years. LOVE it. It is much less expensive than Santa Fe and the crime isnt much worse than anywhere else. Property crimes are through the roof, but that's mostly because the dummies around here like to leave their cars running in their driveways to "warm them up" during the winter. That's the main reason auto burglaries are through the roof. Rio Rancho crime is just about as bad, BUT be sure you live on the same side of the river as where you work. Getting across the Rio Grande twice a day is painful, esp if there is a big accident. You are more likely to find work in Albuquerque than in Santa Fe, due to the latter's limited industrial base.

(10-04-2017, 05:36 PM)Milan Wrote: ABQ is a dying city, imo. I lived there for 10 years (2004 to 2014). We lived on the west side of town near Cottonwood Mall - and apparently this mall and surrounding area are hurting as well.

The brand new neighborhood we enjoyed in 2007 quickly degraded to lots of rental houses and foreclosures. Next thing you know, my wife and I were assaulted (aggravated assault) while taking a Sunday afternoon walk through the seemingly benign neighborhood (right next to a playground full of young kids) - luckily we didn't get hurt, but lots of cars were damaged in broad daylight by a gang of thugs.

ABQ is a sanctuary city. I'm not saying this to be political, just stating a fact. People in the rest of the country can think what they want, but we have personally experienced the horrible ramification of this first-hand. Have you ever experienced the threat of being run over by speeding coyotes while going for a jog?

ABQ is also a horrible place to raise a family. Take a look at their ranking for education - pathetic. One caveat - our elementary school was outstanding, but I think that was a fluke for this city.

We moved to Kansas in 2014, and although I miss the mountains tremendously, it was the best decision I've ever made for my family.

I can't speak much about Santa Fe other than to say it just seemed to me to be a smaller version of ABQ.

Good luck!

Milan

Milan -

I'm very sorry for your experience and glad that you find Kansas so much better. At the same time, ABQ is far from a "dying city". At least, judging from all the construction around here and the massive developments along the Route 66/Central Ave corridor, I would say that things are pretty much jumping. I've been here since 1989 and it seems like the whole city is being rebuilt.

Good luck in Kansas.
10-04-2017, 09:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-04-2017, 10:00 PM by John Brown.)
(10-04-2017, 09:18 AM)zombiecupkake Wrote: I'm originally from NY and two years ago moved to south west Florida, but since hurricane Irma I have been tossing around the idea of relocating to Santa Fe. Anyone from the area on the board? Can you tell me what the area is like? Are job prospects good? Sorry if this post is in the wrong section.

What do you do?
NM is one of the poorest states in the country.
Basically it is tied with Mississippi for poorest state. It has nothing to do with sanctuary cities and everything to do with 400 years of subjugation and people who
would just as soon live an agrarian lifestyle but that
doesn't really work in today's world. Consequently there are
a lot of problems with substance abuse. In the upper valley there a third and fourth generation heroin addicts. Truth be told I'd rather masterbate with sandpaper
Than leave New Mexico.
10-04-2017, 10:09 PM,
(10-04-2017, 09:59 PM)John Brown Wrote:
(10-04-2017, 09:18 AM)zombiecupkake Wrote: I'm originally from NY and two years ago moved to south west Florida, but since hurricane Irma I have been tossing around the idea of relocating to Santa Fe. Anyone from the area on the board? Can you tell me what the area is like? Are job prospects good? Sorry if this post is in the wrong section.

What do you do?
NM is one of the poorest states in the country.
Basically it is tied with Mississippi for poorest state. It has nothing to do with sanctuary cities and everything to do with 400 years of subjugation and people who
would just as soon live an agrarian lifestyle but that
doesn't really work in today's world. Consequently there are
a lot of problems with substance abuse. In the upper valley there a third and fourth generation heroin addicts. Truth be told I'd rather masterbate with sandpaper
Than leave New Mexico.

True and so funny. LMAO

10-05-2017, 05:19 AM,
I've lived in on the west coast, Colorado and the Mid-west, so I have a reference for all three. In terms of jobs and opportunity, if you are looking for general employment then Denver is a better fit as it's a giant city with great job prospects. But that's also the downside as it's a giant city with all the traffic, noise, crowds, expensive housing etc... I really enjoyed Colorado Springs as it's a big small city with decent job prospects, but the commute to Denver is atrocious now, so don't try that angle and think you can drive the I-25 everyday.

You have to decide what you want in life. I enjoy the green of the midwest and wouldn't like the dust bowl look of Albuquerque. Santa Fe is better because of the altitude, but the altitude can be an issue for sunburns if you are of fair complexion. (you can burn in 30 minutes on a sunny winter day). Santa Fe is a resort town and they are usually not the best place to live if you aren't making great money. But if you can swing it, then it has all the recreation one would want nearby.

I wouldn't move to any place expect Denver if I was moving without a job already in hand. On the other hand, only you know what will make you happy, so ignore everything you just read as it's all IMO.
10-05-2017, 06:55 AM,
I live in southern NM, and go to Albaqq bout 6 x a year. Its just another big city, can b what one makes of it. What I yearn for is to wake up each morning without the sounds of man. I am tired to death of the din of man-made machinery . Makin me nutz. Give me a chirpin bird, a bablin book, a rustle of leaves, or silence anyday.
10-05-2017, 07:06 AM,
Thank you all so much for your input, again I apologize for starting the thread in the wrong place. This has me re-considering my possible move at NM at least and maybe I'll have to toss the dart again and see where it lands. I appreciate each of you who took the time to respond. may your solves bring you boxes of bronze filled with gold.
10-05-2017, 07:59 AM,
(10-05-2017, 06:55 AM)5GIRLS Wrote: I live in southern NM, and go to Albaqq bout 6 x a year. Its just another big city, can b what one makes of it. What I yearn for is to wake up each morning without the sounds of man. I am tired to death of the din of man-made machinery . Makin me nutz. Give me a chirpin bird, a bablin book, a rustle of leaves, or silence anyday.

My favoritist answer! 5GIRLS, I'm going to borrow some of this, maybe even for part of an epitaph(which I admit hasn't been started yet). Yep, copy and paste into a notepad. Thanks...
It's all hidden within the book...
letter x letter...word x word...sentence x sentence...paragraph x paragraph...page x page
Flexible
10-05-2017, 09:29 AM,
Yeah, sure, move to Denver. Everyone else is.