Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Newbies to the Chase, please read
10-06-2017, 11:28 PM,
RE: Newbies to the Chase, please read
has anyone thought that line 10 is telling us we're working on a mystery without any clues

10-06-2017, 11:35 PM,
The one BM (at some undisclosed elevation and date) I came across in my trip was slightly greenish and it was in the Rockies. It was near an abandoned coal mine but active railroad bridge abutment. There was another but it might be too descriptive.
I wasn't in California! Nor Washington or Oregon...
10-06-2017, 11:39 PM,
(10-06-2017, 11:25 PM)crazyfamily Wrote:
(10-06-2017, 11:14 PM)brubr Wrote:
(10-06-2017, 11:06 PM)crazyfamily Wrote: Yes, it does, especially when it is in close proximity to salt water. The Rocky Mountains are located in semi-arid states, far, far away from the sea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only oxygen, water and carbon dioxide are reguired for oxidation to occur. Proximity to salt water is NOT required. And there is enough moisture in the Rockies to allow for such oxidation. Clearly, you dont live here or you would know that.

1. You don't know anything about me.
2. Is the Statue of Liberty in the Rocky Mountains?
3. Examine the picture of the survey marker, that I will attest, meets Forrest's criteria of: in the Rocky Mountains north of Santa Fe between 10,200 and 5,000 feet of elevation.

I've done some rock hounding and I'm well aware that pure copper in the Rockies will oxidize to a nice verdigris color. A bronze chest could sit for thousands of years in the Rockies and will never turn green like the Statue of Liberty.

1. Irrelevant. Your clinging to the "semi-arid" description ignores the reality of the environment here, whether you live in the Rockies or not.
2. Irrelevant. There is a large difference between an above ground monument and a bronze/copper chest that is "WET" and "EXPOSED" according to the person who hid it.
3. Irrelevant. Survey markers are made of a number of alloys and stainless steel and only have a bronze cap.

A bronze chest will oxidize and it wont take "thousands of years".
10-06-2017, 11:51 PM,
(10-06-2017, 11:39 PM)brubr Wrote:
(10-06-2017, 11:25 PM)crazyfamily Wrote:
(10-06-2017, 11:14 PM)brubr Wrote:
(10-06-2017, 11:06 PM)crazyfamily Wrote: Yes, it does, especially when it is in close proximity to salt water. The Rocky Mountains are located in semi-arid states, far, far away from the sea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only oxygen, water and carbon dioxide are reguired for oxidation to occur. Proximity to salt water is NOT required. And there is enough moisture in the Rockies to allow for such oxidation. Clearly, you dont live here or you would know that.

1. You don't know anything about me.
2. Is the Statue of Liberty in the Rocky Mountains?
3. Examine the picture of the survey marker, that I will attest, meets Forrest's criteria of: in the Rocky Mountains north of Santa Fe between 10,200 and 5,000 feet of elevation.

I've done some rock hounding and I'm well aware that pure copper in the Rockies will oxidize to a nice verdigris color. A bronze chest could sit for thousands of years in the Rockies and will never turn green like the Statue of Liberty.

1. Irrelevant. Your clinging to the "semi-arid" description ignores the reality of the environment here, whether you live in the Rockies or not.
2. Irrelevant. There is a large difference between an above ground monument and a bronze/copper chest that is "WET" and "EXPOSED" according to the person who hid it.
3. Irrelevant. Survey markers are made of a number of alloys and stainless steel and only have a bronze cap.

A bronze chest will oxidize and it wont take "thousands of years".

If the bronze isn't waxed, it takes 5-10 years out in the elements to develop the green patina. If there is salt or salt water nearby, it's much faster, 2-3 years; if it's waxed, it's 10-15 years because the wax has to be weathered off first. Most bronze statues that remain a rich brown are waxed every 1-3 years.
10-07-2017, 12:05 AM,
Bru - good info, thanks for it, appreciated!
10-07-2017, 08:02 AM,
(10-06-2017, 09:01 AM)Halogetter Wrote: dejoka -

I don't see what you're getting at. I agree completely with the canasta statement, and other statements by Forrest that you must have the first clue correct.
The clues are contiguous, and I believe that they are in order as he has said (although many have alternate interpretations of that statement).

The problem arises in knowing that the first clue is "nailed down", meaning secure, in place, solid, connected, etc., in conventional terms (however some believe there's a hint here, and I won't say). You cannot know for certainty that you had it nailed down in the first place, with all of the other correct clue solutions that follow, until you confirm it with hands on the chest.

If any one of us believes to have the first clue nailed down, it is nevertheless provisional.

Halogetter

A nice rationalization. Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbies, please be advised OjoDude 15 701 10-07-2017, 10:59 PM
Last Post: Kpro