Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
bears
10-11-2017, 02:26 AM,
bears
I live in a city and Im not a very out door fella, does any one know if the treasure is buried where bears live cuz I don't want a bear to attack me?
10-11-2017, 02:33 AM,
RE: bears
The treasure chest is not buried and can not be reached by bears.
= : = : = : = : = : = : = : = : = : = : =
Self-proclaimed Fennprentice
10-11-2017, 02:52 AM,
I practice the act of saying "Hey bear", from the time I open my car door and get out until I return to the safety it provides. Every few moments or more often if the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I also carry 2 cans of bear spray just in case. They are present in the search area, the Rocky mountains. Allowing them to know you are present too is the best course of action as they will try to avoid you.
10-11-2017, 05:49 AM,
Some states just have black bears and they're only a problem if you're camping at night and/or careless with your food. I carry a broomstick when I go hiking and that's it. To my uncertain knowledge it works because I haven't died. It's really more of a walking stick but don't tell the bears.
10-11-2017, 07:04 AM,
It can be reached by bears, but its unlikely
10-11-2017, 09:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-11-2017, 05:58 PM by TrapperJ.)
I want to see wildlife on my hikes. I don't wear ineffective bells, or call out ahead. I have seen 4 bears. After you have seen a few bears you realize it's not as big of a safety issue as you think. Rattlesnakes are my #1 concern.
10-11-2017, 09:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-11-2017, 10:02 AM by John Brown.)
Nobody knows where the treasure is, so it is safe to ignore people who tell you their opinion on that. There are bears in all 4 of the search states.

All 4 states have black bears (which are sometimes brown.) I live in the mountains north of Santa Fe and they walk around my house. They climb the wall into the backyard. They eat my garbage, etc. I don't worry too much about them as for the most part black bears aren't that scary, but they do kill people about once a year in North America according to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fa...rica#2010s
which indicate that black bears and grizzlies kill humans in roughly equal numbers.
You need to respect all bears. WY and MT have grizzlies (aka Brown Bears which can be almost black). I would be much more scared of them. CO has black bears for sure. I don't know if there are any grizzlies in northern CO; I think there might be. You might think that since grizzlies and black bears kill in roughly equal numbers that they're equally dangerous. To make that determination you'd need to have knowledge of the number of bear/human interactions. I suspect, but don't know, that there are far more interactions between black bears and humans than there are between grizzlies and humans. Mama bears travel with cubs often enough. Don't get between mama and cub.

(10-11-2017, 09:08 AM)TrapperJ Wrote: I want to see wildlife on my hikes. I don't wear ineffective bells, or call out ahead. I have seen 4 bears. After you have seen a few bears you realize it's not as big of a safety issue as you think. Rattlesnakes should be your #1 concern.

Humans are my number one concern. There are very few rattle snakes where I live int hte mountains north of Santa Fe at 7,300'. In recent years we've been spotting them higher and higher as it gets warmer. They're now seen at 8,000' above my house, but that is quite rare. Below my house at 6,000' there are lots of rattlers. Down in those canyons I am always watching for them. Still humans are far more dangerous than rattlers.

None of the fatal snake bites listed in this wikipedia article
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fa...ted_States
were in the 4 search states. Many of them occurred when people were messing with snakes for various reasons. Don't mess with wild animals, be they bears or be they snakes.
10-11-2017, 11:16 AM,
(10-11-2017, 09:48 AM)John Brown Wrote: None of the fatal snake bites listed in this wikipedia article
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fa...ted_States
were in the 4 search states. Many of them occurred when people were messing with snakes for various reasons. Don't mess with wild animals, be they bears or be they snakes.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/10/09/man...riathlete/
Self-proclaimed Fennprentice
10-11-2017, 11:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-11-2017, 06:03 PM by TrapperJ.)
Yeah, I guess you're right. A Fenn searcher is likely at an altitude you probably wouldn't see a rattler. Seems they're being spotted higher and higher, like you're saying.

If you're in Grizzly country you should take the proper precautions.
10-11-2017, 07:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-11-2017, 07:32 PM by easternOHsteve.)
(10-11-2017, 02:33 AM)fallingrock Wrote: The treasure chest is not buried and can not be reached by bears.

You're bad fr... He didn't ask if the bears can find it.
And the one bear did not attack me; but your experience might vary... ss IMO

I think the elk were more aggressive; they seemed to be a bit more protective because there was a herd (IMO). The bear was alone; hours of searching only yielded the one bear and he/she ran away.

(10-11-2017, 02:33 AM)fallingrock Wrote: The treasure chest is not buried and can not be reached by bears.

You're bad fr... He didn't ask if the bears can find it.
And the one bear did not attack me; but your experience might vary... ss IMO

I think the elk were more aggressive; they seemed to be a bit more protective because there was a herd (IMO). The bear was alone; hours of searching only yielded the one bear and he/she ran away.

Sorry it posted two times and when I tried to delete, it refused to disappear... Rattlesnakes is what I fear as well; I will walk a mile around a thicket of short bushes... I have seen a couple copperheads at lower elevations...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  YS Bears Larsonist 5 1,209 05-19-2016, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Larsonist
  Grizzly Bears snowman745 12 4,193 02-26-2016, 05:58 PM
Last Post: jamesbrohamalambage
  How morons deal with bears ! Tony 11 2,738 10-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Last Post: deb