Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
bears
10-11-2017, 11:50 PM,
RE: bears
(10-11-2017, 11:19 PM)Kpro Wrote: I have told this story before, but think it applies. I asked my search partner if he was worried about bears, he said "no, I know I can run faster than you". It scared me a bit, since he was right. I use a bear bell and have researched what to do. So, short bit of advice, pick your search partner well......

There is some joke the park rangers tell about finding bear bells in grizzly scat, but I've forgotten what it is. Does anybody remember it?
10-11-2017, 11:55 PM,
(10-11-2017, 11:50 PM)Beavertooth Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 11:19 PM)Kpro Wrote: I have told this story before, but think it applies. I asked my search partner if he was worried about bears, he said "no, I know I can run faster than you". It scared me a bit, since he was right. I use a bear bell and have researched what to do. So, short bit of advice, pick your search partner well......

There is some joke the park rangers tell about finding bear bells in grizzly scat, but I've forgotten what it is. Does anybody remember it?

I will ask anyone to not post it. I find some sense of security with it. Please no. Please no. LOL!
10-11-2017, 11:56 PM,
(10-11-2017, 11:55 PM)Kpro Wrote:
(10-11-2017, 11:50 PM)Beavertooth Wrote:

I will ask anyone to not post it. I find some sense of security with it. Please no. Please no. LOL!

Too late! I found it:

People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.
Smile
10-11-2017, 11:58 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-12-2017, 12:01 AM by Sledneck.)
Kpro, find ease in that when your faster partner turns to run it will most likely trigger the chase instinct in the bear and you will be fine!

I prefer this joke: How do you tell a black bear from a griz? A black bear will climb the tree and eat you, the griz will just knock the tree down and eat you!
10-12-2017, 12:11 AM,
Well, you can always hope he just wants to chest bump ya!! Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsCqmotxyME

What I found interesting was the amount of time it took the bear to cover the distance, when it decided to.....about four (4) seconds!!! Better have the safety off the bear spray already or ya not gonna make it.

(yeah, I know 'K'. I oughtta be shot for posting? Smile )
10-12-2017, 12:26 AM,
(10-12-2017, 12:11 AM)locolobo Wrote: Well, you can always hope he just wants to chest bump ya!! Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsCqmotxyME

What I found interesting was the amount of time it took the bear to cover the distance, when it decided to.....about four (4) seconds!!! Better have the safety off the bear spray already or ya not gonna make it.

(yeah, I know 'K'. I oughtta be shot for posting? Smile )

I was stopped in traffic along the Grand Teton to Yellowstone highway as a grizzly was trying to decide to cross the road. He stepped out a couple of steps, then turned slowly back like he had decided not to. Then he whipped around and charged across the road so fast I was astounded. His body and muscles when making that turn seemed like liquid lightning -- hard to describe, but really, really fast and smooth body motion. It seemed like it took him only two seconds to turn around 180 degrees and cross the road.
10-12-2017, 01:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-12-2017, 01:24 AM by Chris Yates.)
a big blue wrecking crew from LA absolutely destroyed a bunch of diamondbacks lately

but that prolly has nothing to do with this thread
the ending clue: follow a trail of gold coins until it takes you north of the seven ~ Poor Pippi Longstocking

10-12-2017, 04:48 PM,
If you have any questions or concerns about bears and/or bear safety, I highly recommend the 1976 thriller "Grizzly".
10-12-2017, 05:25 PM,

I know that's just an old joke but bears are so fast it doesn't make any difference how fast a human is. The world record for the 50 yard dash (human) is 5.2 seconds. A black bear can run 50 feet/second. That's 50 yards in 3 seconds!!! That's just a normal bear and that's nearly double the human record for the 50 yard dash---and the bear can keep going! If you run as fast as you can for 50 yards you'll be spent. You won't be in a race with a bear. If you're running from one you're not gonna make it. If your partner starts running and you stay I'm not sure what would happen but I've never ever heard anyone advise to run from a bear. If your speedy friend actually did take off running I think he, not you would be the one who was in trouble.

I go out and take pictures when they're in the yard but I don't interact with them. They go over the 6' wall in my backyard like it isn't there. It slows the cubs down a little, I guess, but mama bear barely seems to notice it. Respect them. I give them room. I've never done anything macho like holler at them etc.

(the above is based on my BLACK bear sightings in NM. They come into town frequently and I've seen far more in town than in the wild. I know nothing about grizzlies except that the thought of them scares me.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  YS Bears Larsonist 5 1,211 05-19-2016, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Larsonist
  Grizzly Bears snowman745 12 4,222 02-26-2016, 05:58 PM
Last Post: jamesbrohamalambage
  How morons deal with bears ! Tony 11 2,752 10-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Last Post: deb