Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Poll: Does "it's there in spirit" mean he is still intending on giving the person that finds the chest $100K if they come forward, assuming the IOU is not in the chest?
This poll is closed.
Yes
20.00%
2 20.00%
No
80.00%
8 80.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
$100,000 IOU there in spirit?
10-18-2017, 02:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2017, 02:29 PM by FennMaster.)
RE: $100,000 IOU there in spirit?
(10-18-2017, 01:55 PM)RahRah Wrote: FENN: There’s something that I don’t know whether it’s in the treasure chest or not. It was a crazy idea. But, going about the question you asked earlier, “Did I want to know if someone had found the treasure chest?” So I said, “Yeah, I do.” One reason is so people won’t be spending all their money looking for something that isn’t there any more. So I put an IOU - I wrote out an IOU. “Take this IOU to my bank in Santa Fe, and collect $100,000.” I figured for $100,000, the guy that found the treasure chest would not want to keep it secret anymore. So now the IRS is getting in the act and everybody knows. But if someone finds it 1,000 years from now, my bank won’t be there, and there won’t be any money in the account even if they did, so, I think I took that IOU out. But I don’t remember whether I did or not. It’s in there in spirit.

The idea that one can take an IOU to the bank and get cash is silly - the bank needs a check, not a piece of paper with words on it from Fenn.

It wasn't my idea, it was Mr. Fenn's.
I think you should call him and tell him what you think of it.
Do you have his phone number? Smile
10-18-2017, 03:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2017, 03:15 PM by RahRah.)
(10-18-2017, 02:07 PM)FennMaster Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 01:55 PM)RahRah Wrote: FENN: There’s something that I don’t know whether it’s in the treasure chest or not. It was a crazy idea. But, going about the question you asked earlier, “Did I want to know if someone had found the treasure chest?” So I said, “Yeah, I do.” One reason is so people won’t be spending all their money looking for something that isn’t there any more. So I put an IOU - I wrote out an IOU. “Take this IOU to my bank in Santa Fe, and collect $100,000.” I figured for $100,000, the guy that found the treasure chest would not want to keep it secret anymore. So now the IRS is getting in the act and everybody knows. But if someone finds it 1,000 years from now, my bank won’t be there, and there won’t be any money in the account even if they did, so, I think I took that IOU out. But I don’t remember whether I did or not. It’s in there in spirit.

The idea that one can take an IOU to the bank and get cash is silly - the bank needs a check, not a piece of paper with words on it from Fenn.

I have no need to call him, I believe there is a reason he said there was an IOU and that he took it out, or didn't...and that Preston includes the same, again, in the new book.

"The chest also included a vital piece of paper which he showed me: an IOU for $100,000 drawn on his bank, so that he would know the chest was found when the discoverer collected the IOU.

[...]

He also took out the IOU, he said, “because I thought my bank might not still be there when the chest was found.” He had worked out a better way, he told me, to know when the treasure is discovered, but he has not shared that secret with me."

-------------------------------

I will again repeat, you cannot go into a bank with an IOU and collect money - you need a check for that type of transaction...an IOU is a statement of a debt, it is not a negotiable instrument.
10-18-2017, 03:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2017, 03:24 PM by FennMaster.)
(10-18-2017, 03:09 PM)RahRah Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 02:07 PM)FennMaster Wrote:

I have no need to call him, I believe there is a reason he said there was an IOU and that he took it out, or didn't...and that Preston includes the same, again, in the new book.

"The chest also included a vital piece of paper which he showed me: an IOU for $100,000 drawn on his bank, so that he would know the chest was found when the discoverer collected the IOU.

[...]

He also took out the IOU, he said, “because I thought my bank might not still be there when the chest was found.” He had worked out a better way, he told me, to know when the treasure is discovered, but he has not shared that secret with me."

-------------------------------

I will again repeat, you cannot go into a bank with an IOU and collect money - you need a check for that type of transaction.

I don't think he can hear you unless you call him. Smile

Maybe it was an IOU in the form of a check. (i.e. IOU written in memo field)
maybe he incorrectly referred to a promissory note as an IOU.
Or referred to some other legal note as an IOU because most people are familiar with the term IOU.

This thread was about Mr. Fenn saying the $100,000 IOU "is there in spirit".
Meaning if you went to Mr. Fenn and told him you found the treasure, do you think he would give you $100,000 based on the "in spirit" quote?
Where do you stand on the "in spirit" IOU?
10-18-2017, 03:58 PM,
(10-18-2017, 10:12 AM)FennMaster Wrote:
(10-17-2017, 11:43 PM)Andrew Jef Wrote:
(10-15-2017, 12:21 PM)FennMaster Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 08:27 PM)Andrew Jef Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 04:37 PM)FennMaster Wrote: I think you should explain yourself, very clearly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

FennMaster, I'll try to be clearly understood.

It was never my intention to make you nervous with any of my postings, except in regard to the TC being found and retrieved.

When I abbreviated "FennMaster" to FM, I thought of the FM radio band, and used the phrase "tuned into" to indicate that I'm more aware of
alter-egoism than some might think. I have no intention of ruining,
limiting, or decreasing anyone's fun or well-being by posting to any blogs/forums, or by any other action . . . other than finding the TC (followed by the expected related financial steps).

I am a mature, calm, and peaceful person. I don't stalk, fling tantrums,
or lose my temper, even when things -- such as a deluge of hints --
irritate me. I live far away from NM, and am not a menace to anyone, including myself. Please don't worry about me.

I'm not worried about you in any way.
But, I think you should stop posting threats, not cool! Thanks for the reply.

You tried (successfully) to get me to waste my time. Congratulations.

I asked you to stop posting threats.
I didn't try to get you to do anything else.
What are you talking about?

I'll try (again) to be clearly understood. It make take a lot of luck, all
things considered. Bluntly, one can't stop doing something that one
never did. Got that? In case you don't understand, I didn't post a threat.
Go back to the poem. You're wasting your time on this forum.
10-18-2017, 04:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2017, 04:03 PM by FennMaster.)
(10-18-2017, 03:58 PM)Andrew Jef Wrote:
(10-18-2017, 10:12 AM)FennMaster Wrote:
(10-17-2017, 11:43 PM)Andrew Jef Wrote:
(10-15-2017, 12:21 PM)FennMaster Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 08:27 PM)Andrew Jef Wrote: --------------------------------------------------------------------

FennMaster, I'll try to be clearly understood.

It was never my intention to make you nervous with any of my postings, except in regard to the TC being found and retrieved.

When I abbreviated "FennMaster" to FM, I thought of the FM radio band, and used the phrase "tuned into" to indicate that I'm more aware of
alter-egoism than some might think. I have no intention of ruining,
limiting, or decreasing anyone's fun or well-being by posting to any blogs/forums, or by any other action . . . other than finding the TC (followed by the expected related financial steps).

I am a mature, calm, and peaceful person. I don't stalk, fling tantrums,
or lose my temper, even when things -- such as a deluge of hints --
irritate me. I live far away from NM, and am not a menace to anyone, including myself. Please don't worry about me.

I'm not worried about you in any way.
But, I think you should stop posting threats, not cool! Thanks for the reply.

You tried (successfully) to get me to waste my time. Congratulations.

I asked you to stop posting threats.
I didn't try to get you to do anything else.
What are you talking about?

I'll try (again) to be clearly understood. It make take a lot of luck, all
things considered. Bluntly, one can't stop doing something that one
never did. Got that? In case you don't understand, I didn't post a threat.
Go back to the poem. You're wasting your time on this forum.

It's my time, and I'll determine whether I'm wasting it or not, not you. Got that?

A veiled threat, is still a threat.
An implied threat, is still a threat.
A suggestion of a threat, is still a threat.

You still didn't answer my question. How did I get you to waste your time?
10-18-2017, 06:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2017, 06:31 PM by old drum.)
FM & AJ - I see no threat or even hint of a threat in AJ's post. So knock it off or take it to the Therapy Room!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  in the name of the father the son and the holy spirit lostowl 2 1,124 06-18-2017, 09:53 AM
Last Post: delayah
  The spirit of the Chase The Count 8 1,242 05-06-2017, 10:27 PM
Last Post: rmannaa