Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Olga
10-12-2017, 06:21 PM,
Olga
Olga-an interesting person in Fenn's book. At first I thought she was a child, seeing that they ate cookies and drank colored tea in a tiny house. The name Olga infers "old," but who knows how old she really was. But now I wonder if perhaps she was Fenn's Mother? Chris Yates mentioned a couple years ago that Fenn said to look for the Olga who died in 1979. Lillie died in 1979. Olga means Holy, Svaboda means Freedom. Holy Freedom.
Was Olga even a real person? And why was her attorney present? The bathtub was 36". What's that all about? 6 appears again seeing that it's the square root of 36. June is the sixth month of the calendar year. June happens to also be Forrest's sister. So who is/was/were Olga?

What if the family "deal"was that they'd all be together. In time, and meet each other and the great banquet hall that F spoke about. But....would Forrest really want to have people walking all around a holy location to him? I can't imagine so. Olga, may forever remain a mystery to me. I'd love to know who she was.
10-12-2017, 06:55 PM,
RE: Olga
You can google her. She was a real person. She lived in Santa Fe. Her mom and her both died in Santa Fe and both had the same name. I have a recollection that her bathtub was in fact 36" long, but I don't know where I got that. Take that with a grain of salt.

Don't take the square root of 36. That way lies madness. You should look up Benford's law. I suspect there is a version that applies more broadly than the original. We mainly use small numbers, except when we want them to be hard to remember. Thus credit card numbers are 16 digits because we want them not to be remembered. Highway numbers are usually 1-3 digits, house numbers 1-4. Etc.

One of the brightest intellects in the chase was a Princeton educated engineer named Dreamcatcher who seldom posted and was the first one to come up with "too far to" as "2 4 2". I used that for a long time in various efforts of mine. Eventually I realized that you can't swing a cat in NM without hitting a 242. Highway 84 = 2 x 42. The mile marker on 84 up to Trout Lakes near "Gone alone" (aka Canjilon) is, 242. Up by hopewell lakes there are several FR 242s. Etc. I could go on and on about 2 4 2s within spitting distance of my front stoop here in the mountains north of Santa Fe.

If you are relying on small numbers like that you are almost certain to go wrong. I would imagine that in 15 years even Forrest would have figured that out.
10-12-2017, 07:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-12-2017, 08:14 PM by Copper.)
Olga
I'm not relying on anything. I'm trying to figure out her significance. Certainly there is something important about this chapter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks OH! Interesting thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-12-2017, 09:52 PM,
According to NLP AI, "free" is mentioned 6 times in TTOTC. Svoboda is relevant to the search in solving the poem. The word "latitude" is a synonym for freedom, and "liberty", while liberty also connects to bells. Free is "friend" and "to love", like Philadelphia is "brotherly love". A "friend" is an "ally", an alabaster marble ("ally"), the root of alligator, a Sloane painting left in an alley, and Spanish for "there" ("alli").

Therefore, "Svoboda" "links" directly to a "latitude" in the first sentence of the poem.
10-12-2017, 10:18 PM,
(10-12-2017, 10:12 PM)OH! Wrote: Free is mentioned 3 times in the book and freedom is mentioned 3 times in the book. This isn't all of the 3's in the book.

Cool. Someone else looking at wordz. Don't forget to stem when looking at syn sets and etymons.
10-12-2017, 10:29 PM,
(10-12-2017, 10:12 PM)OH! Wrote: Free is mentioned 3 times in the book and freedom is mentioned 3 times in the book. This isn't all of the 3's in the book.

Some of your counts are off. I get 8 100's:

In Germany my squadron flew the F-100C and I sat alert with an atomic bomb under my wing.
F-100C and I sat alert with an atomic bomb under my wing. The
Some weeks earlier our F-100 single seat fighters had flown
the north, and those pilots were all heroes to me. The F-100 Misty
on the rocks below. It must have been 100 feet or more. Large birds
fuel tanks, and headed for the target. Each of our four F-100s was
It was 1755 (5:55PM) when I ejected from my crippled F-100
waited so long to secret my cache. George Burns was 100 years old
10-12-2017, 10:34 PM,
(10-12-2017, 10:12 PM)OH! Wrote: hool 3

So, I think you have some really good ones in your 3's list, and then... not so much. May need some attention and reformatting. I know I spent quite some time xml tagging for page numbers, paragraphs, correcting OCR errors (like 1oo instead of 100), etc.
10-12-2017, 10:58 PM,
(10-12-2017, 10:39 PM)OH! Wrote: The 1oo is how it is in the book. Just how 3oo is. Take another look.
You are right though, mine is 99% but close. Still a good reference.

No doubt that's how the fonts present it. But humans read it as 100, so if we are to count it for "meaning" and relevance, it seems we are also to convert it.

By the way, "means" seems to connect to "riches", and in the middle, and half-way there (metaphorically speaking). I mean, how many times does he say "I mean" in TTOTC (he says it 13) plus in his blog posts? Or past "midnight" meaning compass "north" (in Belarus)?
10-12-2017, 11:04 PM,
(10-12-2017, 10:18 PM)E.C. Waters Wrote:

Cool. Someone else looking at wordz. Don't forget to stem when looking at syn sets and etymons.

I would like to operate on all the root words in the book. stemming can yield stems which are not words:

porter_stemmer.stem('varied')
u'vari'

If I lemmatize using nltk algorithms I can end up with lemmas that are not the root word:

wnl.lemmatize('running')
'running'

what I would like to have is

Johns.rootwordfinder('running')
'run'

Johns.rootwordfinder('varied')
'vary'

Do you know if there are nltk algorithms in python that can do what I am after?

I have half a mind to do it by hand. the book only has about 145 short paragraphs. Besides, I'm not sure how to treat Indian and Indiana anyway. I don't want to be given "India" for those words.

I think a cunning linguist would tell me that the task I want to perform is ill-posed but I'm thinking something could be ginned up that is good enough. I imagine there isn't a unique root for lots of words (in the absence of context), but the number of possible roots should be finite and probably not more than several.
10-12-2017, 11:13 PM,
(10-12-2017, 11:02 PM)OH! Wrote: I can only handle working with the words in short spurts, it's frustrating!

Definitely frustrating for humans. Easy-peasy for big data chew like AI using WordNet and USGS feature sets with long/lats and elevations. Chew and gnaw and bite and tooth, also relevant. As is Diane Sawyer and Kitty Dukakis!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tea with Olga Hammertime 9 3,320 02-23-2016, 08:40 PM
Last Post: Sourdough
  Tea colors Olga BrazenBull 20 1,682 11-28-2014, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Jack
  Tea with Olga will197532 10 976 10-18-2014, 06:29 PM
Last Post: mdavis19