Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Olga
10-13-2017, 11:19 AM,
RE: Olga
(10-13-2017, 03:48 AM)OH! Wrote: John, You were right, sorry. My ocr reader couldn't read the top of that page for some reason so it wasn't registering the word for the count. I'm not even going to use it anymore until it's correct. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

Sorry I got a little testy.
10-13-2017, 11:25 AM,
Olga
(10-12-2017, 06:21 PM)Copper Wrote: Olga-an interesting person in Fenn's book. At first I thought she was a child, seeing that they ate cookies and drank colored tea in a tiny house. The name Olga infers "old," but who knows how old she really was. But now I wonder if perhaps she was Fenn's Mother? Chris Yates mentioned a couple years ago that Fenn said to look for the Olga who died in 1979. Lillie died in 1979. Olga means Holy, Svaboda means Freedom. Holy Freedom.
Was Olga even a real person? And why was her attorney present? The bathtub was 36". What's that all about? 6 appears again seeing that it's the square root of 36. June is the sixth month of the calendar year. June happens to also be Forrest's sister. So who is/was/were Olga?

What if the family "deal"was that they'd all be together. In time, and meet each other and the great banquet hall that F spoke about. But....would Forrest really want to have people walking all around a holy location to him? I can't imagine so. Olga, may forever remain a mystery to me. I'd love to know who she was.

America/Amelia, and however else you can say "America."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mindy's blogs:

http://www.fennhotspot.com
http://www.myeverwonderland.blogspot.com
10-13-2017, 11:59 AM,
butterfly / flutterby

olga / gaol

keep.
10-13-2017, 01:53 PM,
(10-13-2017, 09:43 AM)J Smith Wrote: Olga spelled backwards is "a glo"...maybe Olga is the blaze? OMG I have seen the light!

That's a good thought...to spell Olga backwards....a G lo or a low G.

There is a low G image in my solve and it is in what could be considered Fenn's backyard, just as Olga's little property that Fenn wanted to buy and was in his backyard. And the most important part of that "low G" measures exactly 36 feet across, like her 36" bathtub.

Of course all of this is just a story to give hints to the chest location, IMO. There is no real Olga as described in the story

The different colors of tea that they drank is a very significant clue that fits the search area also.

"Opinion becomes fact when it is verified by facts." by Mia O. Pinion
10-13-2017, 02:59 PM,
Olga is a real person. She was born in Illinois (1920). Grew up and went to school in the Chicago area. Did a year in college. Moved to Santa Fe with her mother (40's if irc). JB is right that her and her mother had the same name. Her father was a painter etc... Her older brother was a high ranking officer in the Army Corps of Engineers in charge of overseeing major defense construction in the U.S.A. She worked for a utility company and won awards from magazines for some of her recipes. There's alot about her out there if you dig for it.
10-13-2017, 04:59 PM,
Olga
(10-13-2017, 01:53 PM)trigace Wrote:
(10-13-2017, 09:43 AM)J Smith Wrote: Olga spelled backwards is "a glo"...maybe Olga is the blaze? OMG I have seen the light!

There is a low G image in my solve and it is in what could be considered Fenn's backyard, just as Olga's little property that Fenn wanted to buy and was in his backyard. And the most important part of that "low G" measures exactly 36 feet across, like her 36" bathtub.

Of course all of this is just a story to give hints to the chest location, IMO. There is no real Olga as described in the story

The different colors of tea that they drank is a very significant clue that fits the search area also.

Lately I've been wondering if the colors of the tea is something like the color of the bear. No matter what the tea is named, isn't all tea a shade of brown?

Mindy's blogs:

http://www.fennhotspot.com
http://www.myeverwonderland.blogspot.com
10-13-2017, 06:02 PM,
(10-12-2017, 11:04 PM)John Brown Wrote: Do you know if there are nltk algorithms in python that can do what I am after?

WordNet lib is alright to build the base, but yeah, I've also had to rely on a bunch of custom lists, all things considered.

(10-12-2017, 11:04 PM)John Brown Wrote: I have half a mind to do it by hand. the book only has about 145 short paragraphs.

145 pages? I have over 400 "paragraphs", but that's because I'm also splitting them in between pages so that I can source back to the page number and location on the page. My rows end up becoming page number plus paragraph number within the page, and then the text.

(10-12-2017, 11:04 PM)John Brown Wrote: I think a cunning linguist would tell me that the task I want to perform is ill-posed but I'm thinking something could be ginned up that is good enough.

I'm quite hopeful. You seem to have some background, so also have a look at gate.ac.uk. Their components are very useful.
10-13-2017, 09:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-13-2017, 09:40 PM by GoneAlone.)
(10-12-2017, 09:52 PM)E.C. Waters Wrote: According to NLP AI...

I also have some background with Data Science including NLP (Python NLTK), but frankly (in my opinion) this isn't the route to go down. Of course, don't let me stop you and go ahead and knock yourself out -- but the way that the clues in the poem are structured, it's not really conducive to a solution arrived at via Machine Learning.

I've said this before (and was panned for it), but the best training for solving the puzzle is to do NYT crosswords (especially the puzzles with a lot of puns) -- or also Games Magazine can be good. I see some posters here with some very basic misspellings in their posts, and honestly I just don't think that they have any kind of realistic chance -- since the finder of the chest will likely be an experienced word puzzle enthusiast of the highest order. After all, at the end of the day the poem is really just a word puzzle (with a real world component at the end).
10-13-2017, 09:24 PM,
Olga
(10-13-2017, 04:59 PM)Mindy Wrote:
(10-13-2017, 01:53 PM)trigace Wrote:

Lately I've been wondering if the colors of the tea is something like the color of the bear. No matter what the tea is named, isn't all tea a shade of brown?

There is only tea. Green tea is Pekoe(black tea) picked when the leaves are still green. Herbal tea's like Red Zinger are not tea.

razyfamily
10-13-2017, 09:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-13-2017, 09:39 PM by E.C. Waters.)
(10-13-2017, 09:18 PM)GoneAlone Wrote: it's not really conducive to a solution arrived at via Machine Learning.

I've said this before (and was panned for it), but the best training for solving the puzzle...

I appreciate your informed perspective on this and I welcome the balanced challenge, but I see it differently because of (in my opinion) the significant probability scoring of synonyms, homonyms, and other various etymons. While this approach is "just another approach", I'm exploring its feasibility that word usage patterns have alternate meaning.

As an example, the word "monarch" would seem a rather significant match for alone, and butterfly, and architect when clustered to other poem matches within the elevation range and within a long/lat tolerance of +/- 15 degrees.

(10-13-2017, 09:24 PM)crazyfamily Wrote: There is only tea. Green tea is Pekoe(black tea) picked when the leaves are still green. Herbal tea's like Red Zinger are not tea.

While I have no clue if this is the intent, a startling finding in NLP AI would be to consider these colors within the context of directional navigation: red green black are colors used on the 32 point compass rose.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tea with Olga Hammertime 9 2,946 02-23-2016, 08:40 PM
Last Post: Sourdough
  Tea colors Olga BrazenBull 20 1,586 11-28-2014, 04:50 PM
Last Post: Jack
  Tea with Olga will197532 10 867 10-18-2014, 06:29 PM
Last Post: mdavis19