Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Music and More
10-17-2017, 05:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2017, 05:45 PM by TrapperJ.)
Music and More
I was explaining basic music theory to someone today and I had a one of those Fenn moments. I have seen diatonic modes in anagrams, but figured they were random. Then today I noticed something.

When constructing a diatonic scale one follows a pattern of whole and half steps. To make a major scale we start with the root note, say C, and then apply this pattern of steps to it. WWhWWWh. I didn't see it at first then I thought, "Oh Snap. WWWH." If we begin our scale at WWWh we get the Lydian Mode WWWhWWh. If you were to play the lydian mode using only the white keys, then the root note would be F. The Lydian mode is the fourth degree, and sometimes called F Lydian.

While I thought this was cool, it didn't help much. And, I still haven't connected much else, except that, the musical modes are named after Greek tribes, or kingdoms. There are a few noteworthy things about the Lydians. The most noteworthy being, they created coinage. They were the first people in the west to use gold and silver coins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia#First_coinage

There was also a battle with the Medes in which an eclipse took place during the battle. The two sides saw this as a sign and agreed to peace.

I'm sharing because I think there might be enough connections to warrant a post, and see if anyone else has thought of this. Feel free to dismiss as another silly rabbit hole. Thanks

Now am I to take it in the Canon down?
10-17-2017, 05:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-17-2017, 05:37 PM by BLHamrick.)
RE: Music and More
I don't know what to do with that either, but I like it. I think it's fascinating, and love your last comment...maybe you are onto something..."Hear me all and listen good"...maybe it's the music we're supposed to hear.

-Barbara

Not to go on and on, but King Gyges of Lydia captured the city of Colophon in about 650 BC. Just sayin'. I had to look up the Lydians.

-Barbara
10-17-2017, 08:20 PM,
i say this as more of a well informed calculated theoretical guess than a prediction

the Lydian connection you brought out here may mean the end is drawing night is not night as we normally think of it

could be why date ends on the second where

the lydian scale works nicely too because if hints are based on "F" lydian, we are still using all the C major scale notes (and we can use the "do re mi.." song)

F lydian starts off F G A B. could this connect to hints of F brown bagging it to school

there is a place in the poem crossword where fa-so-la-ti appear in clockwise order around "do"

fa-so-la-ti-do being in the order of F lydian

thanks Trapper. some things to think about
the ending clue: follow a trail of gold coins until it takes you north of the seven ~ Poor Pippi Longstocking

10-17-2017, 08:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-17-2017, 10:36 PM by TrapperJ.)
Thanks, Barbara. Let me know if you connect anyting further.
Word up, Yates. Great input.

I have found another possible layer. I'll post more in a bit. I haven't seen that scale circle in the poem. I'll check it out.
10-18-2017, 12:44 AM,
Just to take it a little further...

Music scales are in steps and half-steps. Steps implies walking as well, so "not far, but too far too walk" is nicely addressed.

Also, the greek term "Hypo" can mean "below". i.e "Hypothesis" literally means to "put in below". But there are Hypolydian scales and such. So if you can find a "Brown" scale, maybe the sentence becomes "Take the note below the Brown scale's root". Or something...

Just thinking out loud for your creative post.
10-18-2017, 04:17 AM,
(10-17-2017, 05:17 PM)TrapperJ Wrote: I was explaining basic music theory to someone today and I had a one of those Fenn moments. I have seen diatonic modes in anagrams, but figured they were random. Then today I noticed something.

When constructing a diatonic scale one follows a pattern of whole and half steps. To make a major scale we start with the root note, say C, and then apply this pattern of steps to it. WWhWWWh. I didn't see it at first then I thought, "Oh Snap. WWWH." If we begin our scale at WWWh we get the Lydian Mode WWWhWWh. If you were to play the lydian mode using only the white keys, then the root note would be F. The Lydian mode is the fourth degree, and sometimes called F Lydian.

While I thought this was cool, it didn't help much. And, I still haven't connected much else, except that, the musical modes are named after Greek tribes, or towns. There are a few noteworthy things about the Lydians. The most noteworthy being, they created coinage. They were the first people in the west to use gold and silver coins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia#First_coinage

There was also a battle with the Medes in which an eclipse took place during the battle. The two sides saw this as a sign and agreed to peace.

I'm sharing because I think there might be enough connections to warrant a post, and see if anyone else has thought of this. Feel free to dismiss as another silly rabbit hole. Thanks

Now am I to take it in the Canon down?

Didn't know you were a musician. I spotted that right away, having been a professional for many years, but I didn't know what to do with it. That solfage (do re mi) thing in the crossword is something I would love to see. I mean come on, fa, a long long way to run? Not fa but too fa to walk, so run, I guess. I also looked at the Lydian connection, but missed some of the things mentioned here. Colophon is interesting too, that would be the omega marks I think.

If and when I post about stuff like this as related to the chase I give hints, but I never just come out and say things, not usually anyway. A ton of things come to mind involving music, but you kind of have to have an education in it to see them, like with anything I suppose, even ancient Greek history. I have to say that in this case I'm glad you brought it up because some things came to light for me and others too it seems.
10-18-2017, 08:55 AM,
Thanks for the responses.

I wondered if this was outside the knowledge bubble. Too technical? I don't think so. I didn't learn this because of the chase. I learned the coinage part, I guess.

While I don't think that it all has to do with music, I do think this would be a clever solution to WWWH.
10-18-2017, 05:37 PM,
nailed down. haahahahahahahaahhah

i get it now
the ending clue: follow a trail of gold coins until it takes you north of the seven ~ Poor Pippi Longstocking

10-18-2017, 05:56 PM,
(10-17-2017, 05:28 PM)BLHamrick Wrote: Not to go on and on, but King Gyges of Lydia captured the city of Colophon in about 650 BC. Just sayin'. I had to look up the Lydians.

-Barbara

Now what are the odds of that? That's nuts, with a cherry on top.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  thats clown music bro Chris Yates 1 510 10-19-2016, 07:10 AM
Last Post: Mindy
  Dreamin' music by StickFigure 23kachinas 1 617 11-23-2015, 04:44 AM
Last Post: Buddy Allen
  Favorite Chase related Music HarryFool 8 1,088 06-06-2015, 02:58 PM
Last Post: HarryFool