Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
It is buried! Right from the horses mounth
10-28-2017, 04:51 PM,
It is buried! Right from the horses mounth
Chris, I understand how you justify it in your solution, but I don’t believe there are coordinates in the poem. Second, I don’t believe the poem tells the reader to dig. I want to hear what others say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-28-2017, 05:05 PM,
RE: It is buried! Right from the horses mounth
taking out the garbage tells you if it's buried or not. rooster quote from tarryscant.com #6114 may hint at the non-burial of the TC just saying imo ss
just saying ss
10-28-2017, 05:48 PM,
I'm not quite clear on what timberwolf was saying. As far as I know metal detecting on NFS land is legal.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC...261774.pdf

I personally don't see an upside to long learned discussions of the finer points of law on a public forum.
10-28-2017, 06:25 PM,
Regarding the question of whether or not the treasure is buried, it could very well be buried even if Fenn didn't bury it. There were a number of items, old stereo, pieces of a broken garage door, and more that were tossed in the yard behind the garage of my dad's house. Nobody every took the time to haul them away. Years later, I cleaned up the area a found many of those things literally buried in the ground. I know that nobody made the effort to bury those things, yet there they were buried in the ground , not very deep but nonetheless not visible, and in some cases surrounded by roots of vegetation.
10-28-2017, 08:42 PM,
(10-28-2017, 05:48 PM)John Brown Wrote: I'm not quite clear on what timberwolf was saying. As far as I know metal detecting on NFS land is legal.

I personally don't see an upside to long learned discussions of the finer points of law on a public forum.

Yes, metal detecting is perfectly legal on NFS land. I was not talking about detecting. I was only saying that removal of artifacts/relics over 100 years old is not legal. You can detect, pan, dig (with pick and shovel) for minerals (as long as you are not on a valid mineral claim) to your heart's desire. It is also completely legal to dig for treasure on NFS land... IF you have a permit.

My point was, if the chest is on NFS land, Forrest did not likely bury it. He would know the legalities/permits required for digging for treasure on NFS land. IF... he buried the chest... he likely did it on land without restrictions for digging treasure. This also goes for other public lands. There are certain restrictions one should know if they chose to DIG for treasure. Do your due diligence!

I suggest, that if you find the treasure and you had to dig it up, that you never admit/publish/photograph/tell anyone, that you dug it up. Take the 5th when the judge asks you where you found it. Hopefully you did not have a partner/witness when you dig it up. The Govt. will put the screws to him/her to give YOU up.

Again, JMW2C

--TW
10-28-2017, 11:10 PM,
If you need a metal detector you haven't solved the poem and don't know where it is.

Forrest wanted to get everyone off of their texting devices, tv's, and be out in the beautiful mountains, smelling the sunshine, looking around at nature, but NO! -
staring at an electronic metal detector, perhaps even with headphones on so that you are even a less-aware and more stationary bear meal.

Riiight... With your backpack, important supplies, metal detector and multiple implements of digging, and then you're expected to carry out the chest and contents with you as well....

Oyveygetter
10-29-2017, 06:44 AM,
(10-28-2017, 11:10 PM)Halogetter Wrote: If you need a metal detector you haven't solved the poem and don't know where it is.

Forrest wanted to get everyone off of their texting devices, tv's, and be out in the beautiful mountains, smelling the sunshine, looking around at nature, but NO! -
staring at an electronic metal detector, perhaps even with headphones on so that you are even a less-aware and more stationary bear meal.

Riiight... With your backpack, important supplies, metal detector and multiple implements of digging, and then you're expected to carry out the chest and contents with you as well....

Oyveygetter

So, why do you suppose F said what he did about the metal detector ?
Keep in mind, he didn't say 'might help', he said "WILL HELP".

That would seem to indicate to me that he knew at the time that he said that, the TC was not visible.

I'm simply playing devil's advocate here, as I personally believe the TC might be 18" below the surface.

I didn't start out believing that but, changed my thoughts after revisiting the book a few times.
10-29-2017, 06:49 AM,
(10-28-2017, 08:42 PM)timberwolf Wrote:
(10-28-2017, 05:48 PM)John Brown Wrote: I'm not quite clear on what timberwolf was saying. As far as I know metal detecting on NFS land is legal.

Yes, metal detecting is perfectly legal on NFS land. I was not talking about detecting. I was only saying that removal of artifacts/relics over 100 years old is not legal. You can detect, pan, dig (with pick and shovel) for minerals (as long as you are not on a valid mineral claim) to your heart's desire. It is also completely legal to dig for treasure on NFS land... IF you have a permit.

My point was, if the chest is on NFS land, Forrest did not likely bury it. He would know the legalities/permits required for digging for treasure on NFS land. IF... he buried the chest... he likely did it on land without restrictions for digging treasure. This also goes for other public lands. There are certain restrictions one should know if they chose to DIG for treasure. Do your due diligence!

I suggest, that if you find the treasure and you had to dig it up, that you never admit/publish/photograph/tell anyone, that you dug it up. Take the 5th when the judge asks you where you found it. Hopefully you did not have a partner/witness when you dig it up. The Govt. will put the screws to him/her to give YOU up.

Again, JMW2C

--TW

I think you're misapplying the law. It's not whether the object is over 100 years old, but whether it's been in the ground over 100 years and is a historical object. If I drop a pre-1917 coin on the ground I surely can pick it up without breaking the law.
10-29-2017, 07:17 AM,
(10-29-2017, 06:44 AM)ROLL TIDE Wrote: I'm simply playing devil's advocate here, as I personally believe the TC might be 18" below the surface.

I didn't start out believing that but, changed my thoughts after revisiting the book a few times.

Why do you say 18 inches? Just curious how you arrived at that number.
-= 12 inch club =-
10-29-2017, 07:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-29-2017, 08:20 AM by John Brown.)
(10-29-2017, 07:17 AM)SimonSays Wrote:
(10-29-2017, 06:44 AM)ROLL TIDE Wrote: I'm simply playing devil's advocate here, as I personally believe the TC might be 18" below the surface.

Why do you say 18 inches? Just curious how you arrived at that number.

Perhaps from My War For Me: "When I opened my eyes I was eighteen inches above the jungle floor and I couldn't believe my good fortune. I quickly unfastened the parachute harness and stepped to the ground. Eighteen days earlier I'd been shot down near Binh Thuy in the delta region of South Vietnam, and it taught me that bad luck is not something that always happens to the other guy."

Note that the last sentence is incorrect though. He did not get shot down twice in 18 days. When he was interviewed about two weeks after he was shot down in Chapone he said that he came to rest 2' off the ground. So 40 years later he increases the precision to 18"? I've never known what to make of that. In 1969 he said that he flew 305 combat missions (getting shot down on his 304th) rather than the numbers reported in TTOTC.