Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My take on "Once Upon A While"
11-13-2017, 08:31 PM,
There are tons of hints. I also think there is a great deal of misdirection.

For example, in the story where he talks about how great it is to be rich and buy Neiman Marcus mink coats for $12,500 instead of identical JC Penny mink coats for 1/4 th the cost?

I'm on my 3rd solution right now. My first one was idiotic. My second one began with "gone alone" sounds a lot like "Canjilon" (nearly perfect homophones). The Pogezabas crashed high on Canjilon mountain just 35 years ago on November 2nd 1982. A year later about Dec. 24 1983 the Mink family crashed about a mile away from the Pogzeba crash site. Mrs. Mink died in the crash. Her husband and son survived and spent days marooned high on the mountain in deep snow. I don't know what I told Forrest. I found a piece of art carved into a tree including a horse and a big "F" very close to the Mink site and other clues were involved as well. At that time I was taking "From there it's no place for the meek" to be a homophonic substitution for "From there it's snow place for the Mink". I probably told Forrest this. There were a bunch of other aspects of my failed Canjilon attempt that had some appeal. I don't want to mention them here for hear they will take flight and be repeated over the years. I dropped Canjilon etc. like 3rd period French when I found the correct starting area, but that's a story for another day. I would say that drawing inferences from Once Upon A While should be considered fraught with peril. I imagine there are other failed efforts that show up in there as well and in addition there are probably some correct ones. What the heck is on page 46???
11-13-2017, 08:44 PM,
RE: My take on "Once Upon A While"
The key to the Neiman Marcus clue is IMO Mr. Marcus' first name... Stanley. It's called, "An Education from Stanley" -- and while the coat is not really relevant the name is... as are a few of the key numbers involved between the SB and here.

There are about 13 SB's that relate to an area near and dear to Mr. Fenn (not YS).... once you hone in on the area all of the names pop out as do references to key ideas. I'd also include the SB numbering system itself as perhaps the most important clue of all.

However, having gotten all of that only gets you to a general area and a way to begin dissecting the poem, unfortunately for me.

I do not believe there is any misdirection at all... at least none that I have seen.
11-13-2017, 08:52 PM,
(11-13-2017, 08:44 PM)nkown Wrote: The key to the Neiman Marcus clue is IMO Mr. Marcus' first name... Stanley. It's called, "An Education from Stanley" -- and while the coat is not really relevant the name is... as are a few of the key numbers involved between the SB and here.

There are about 13 SB's that relate to an area near and dear to Mr. Fenn (not YS).... once you hone in on the area all of the names pop out as do references to key ideas. I'd also include the SB numbering system itself as perhaps the most important clue of all.

However, having gotten all of that only gets you to a general area and a way to begin dissecting the poem, unfortunately for me.

I do not believe there is any misdirection at all... at least none that I have seen.

Problem with the scrap books is that Fenn never said they will help you solve the box. From that I conclude that scrapbook based solutions are doomed. What Forrest said very early on is that the book, the poem, and a map are what you need. Never did he suggest that Dal's scrapbooks will help.
11-13-2017, 09:24 PM,
He didn't suggest they wouldn't either... and I cannot imagine that he'd spend the countless hours writing them without a purpose (other than to entertain himself). Further, without a doubt a number of the SB's have actual, bonafide discrete solutions. What is a discrete solution? Self contained (no other info needed), non trivial (one in 500k or more), internally consistent, and in line with other SB information.

I assure you, Mr. Brown, that a few of them are shockingly clever and useful. However, of course, if I showed you then everyone would know.
11-13-2017, 10:05 PM,
The numbers of the scrapbooks are irreverent, he's not misdirecting anyone, but he may throw in some head scratchers for the people searching for hints in his readings...

IMPORTANT REMINDER.....

IF YOU HAVENT FIGURED OUT WHERE WARM WATERS HALTS, YOU HAVE NOTHING!

Forrest has said it himself and theres one chapter that'll help you figure out where that would be and thats in ttotc.... But hey, what do I know? I'm just a kid in a candy store with a golden ticket in my back pocket!

The clues in the poem are directions once botg.... Just the first couple clues are what u need to figire out! But you WILL need the good map! ;D
11-13-2017, 10:14 PM,
If the SB numbers are irrelevant then why number them:

....98, 99, 99.5, 100, 101… 122, 123, 121.5, 124, 121.7, 125, [Title:126 / html:106], 117.5, 126.1, 126.2, 127, 127.1, 128, 129, 129.1, 130, 131… 162, 163....

etc.

sure, one could argue that whoops, Dal forgot to insert one so he made up a .1 or a .5. But no... that's not it.

Maybe you've figured it out and you don't want others to see it, but I assure you it's so not trivial that FF included it prominently in OUAW. Very prominently.
11-13-2017, 10:45 PM,
(11-13-2017, 08:44 PM)nkown Wrote: The key to the Neiman Marcus clue is IMO Mr. Marcus' first name... Stanley. It's called, "An Education from Stanley" -- and while the coat is not really relevant the name is... as are a few of the key numbers involved between the SB and here.

Like Stanley NM? Interesting bit of information from that information is that Jeffrey Epstein of Lolita Express fame is from Stanley and Fenn has apparently propositioned people he has met (Stephanie, someone's granddaughter).
11-13-2017, 10:55 PM,
Muahahahaha looks like u might have to book a plane ticket and beat me to it!
11-14-2017, 05:21 AM,
So why is it that ego must go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mindy's blogs:

http://www.fennhotspot.com
http://www.myeverwonderland.blogspot.com
11-14-2017, 06:46 AM,
(11-13-2017, 08:44 PM)nkown Wrote: The key to the Neiman Marcus clue is IMO Mr. Marcus' first name... Stanley. It's called, "An Education from Stanley" --

Stan Lee. Graphic novels, etc. ??