Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conundrum off topic
12-11-2017, 04:32 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-11-2017, 04:33 PM by Chris Yates.)
RE: Conundrum off topic
(12-11-2017, 01:55 PM)John Brown Wrote: This is an ancient problem. To my mind, a more interesting question is: "What is the most elegant question you can ask a guard in order to determine which of the doors described in the original problem is the good door?" My candidate for that is, while pointing at a door: "Would you tell me this is the good door?" The question has to be understood in the following sense: "If I were to ask you if this is the good door would you tell me yes it is the good door?" If you're pointing at the good door then the truth teller has to say yes.

something i just realized is not spelled out in the riddle as posted here

in the version i am familiar with, you can ask only one of the guards the question, and you aren't going to know which guard you are asking

12-11-2017, 04:34 PM,
Conundrum off topic
That true, but based on the answer.. a person can figure the door. No matter what guard you ask.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
12-11-2017, 05:09 PM,
(12-10-2017, 08:38 PM)Timraywa Wrote: I think there is room for this here without intruding too much.

You are in a room
There are two doors. One door of life and one door of death
There are two guards one will always be a truth teller the other one is always a liar.
The guards know which door they stand by.
What one question can you ask to be set free?

If you already know the answer pm me and I will give you credit when it is solved or after a period of discussion
You can ask me questions.
Throw out some thoughts and solve it as a team, thats what I needed.
This is the toughest conundrum I have come across.

The following may be deduced from the info provided in the OP:

You do not know which guard is which.
Each guard also knows which door the other guards.
Any question asked of either guard has only two possible answers.
The question must eliminate which guard lies or tells the truth.
Only an indirect question will reveal which door is which.

Can you deduce the one indirect question that will reveal the door to life regardless of which guard is asked?
12-11-2017, 06:25 PM,
John B.
You put one word in your response that may get you the wrong answer. And that word is if.
There have been a number of people who have answered correctly. Hats off to you.
I will share your names later.
When you ask your question to either guard. You will know which doors he guards.
And which is the door of life.
However you won’t know if he is the truth guy or liar guy.
12-11-2017, 06:46 PM,
Conundrum off topic
Ask a long winded question. Liars always hesitate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-11-2017, 10:26 PM,
Milan, time bandit and iron will sent me the correct answer. It can be asked in a variety of ways. Basically you ask one guard the opinion of the other guard referencing the door.
If I walked up to the other guard and asked him if he is standing in front of the door of life, would he say yes? The liar will lie and the truth teller will tell the other guys lie. Giving you the same answer. A lie.
Thanks for your time. I hope it got some brain cells activated.
Now if I could only find the guard for the chest.
12-12-2017, 02:53 AM,
(12-11-2017, 10:26 PM)Timraywa Wrote: Milan, time bandit and iron will sent me the correct answer. It can be asked in a variety of ways. Basically you ask one guard the opinion of the other guard referencing the door.
If I walked up to the other guard and asked him if he is standing in front of the door of life, would he say yes? The liar will lie and the truth teller will tell the other guys lie. Giving you the same answer. A lie.
Thanks for your time. I hope it got some brain cells activated.
Now if I could only find the guard for the chest.

Sarah also had the correct answer.
12-13-2017, 07:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-13-2017, 07:44 PM by John Brown.)
(12-11-2017, 04:32 PM)Chris Yates Wrote:
(12-11-2017, 01:55 PM)John Brown Wrote: This is an ancient problem. To my mind, a more interesting question is: "What is the most elegant question you can ask a guard in order to determine which of the doors described in the original problem is the good door?" My candidate for that is, while pointing at a door: "Would you tell me this is the good door?" The question has to be understood in the following sense: "If I were to ask you if this is the good door would you tell me yes it is the good door?" If you're pointing at the good door then the truth teller has to say yes.

something i just realized is not spelled out in the riddle as posted here

in the version i am familiar with, you can ask only one of the guards the question, and you aren't going to know which guard you are asking

Yes. It doesn't matter which guard is in front of which door. The thing is one always lies and the other always tells the truth. They could both be guarding both doors. Doesn't matter. Of course you don't know which guard you're asking and you still won't know once you're question has been answered. Now THERE's a riddle. What is the most elegant question you can ask to determine both whether the guy you ask is the liar or the truth teller and which door is the good one? I don't know if there's even an inelegant solution to this.

(12-11-2017, 06:25 PM)Timraywa Wrote: John B.
You put one word in your response that may get you the wrong answer. And that word is if.
There have been a number of people who have answered correctly. Hats off to you.
I will share your names later.
When you ask your question to either guard. You will know which doors he guards.
And which is the door of life.
However you won’t know if he is the truth guy or liar guy.

Which "if" and how does it get me the wrong answer?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The "find his car" Conundrum OjoDude 56 7,167 09-15-2017, 02:26 PM
Last Post: will197532
  The Desert Conundrum OjoDude 2 496 09-11-2017, 10:14 PM
Last Post: resa
  Clues in the TTOTC Conundrum OjoDude 3 466 09-11-2017, 08:22 PM
Last Post: OjoDude
  The Riddle conundrum OjoDude 29 3,059 09-06-2017, 09:50 AM
Last Post: trigace
  First Clue Conundrum OjoDude 22 1,654 08-30-2017, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Bryan Pergola
Heart off topic [My daughter just got married] off topic decall 16 6,237 10-14-2015, 11:33 AM
Last Post: njfl