Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A word to the wise
01-11-2018, 05:40 AM,
A word to the wise
A primary definition of hint is 'an indirect, covert, or helpful suggestion; clue'
source: dictionary.com

So, hint and clue are synonymous. Many of the elements of the poem may not in fact be hints or clues, but confirmations which reinforce correct interpretations. From this perspective, it may be that what many have referred to as hints are better seen as confirmations. If Forrest Fenn reveals information about the trail to the treasure which only makes sense to a searcher who already has correctly solved one of the poem's clues, like transmuting warm water into a hot lead, is that information a hint (clue) or a confirmation? Without understanding the poem, does anyone really have the faintest idea as to the significance of Forrest Fenn's cryptic mumbo jumbo?
01-11-2018, 07:25 AM,
RE: A word to the wise
I believe clues are more like verbs and hints like nouns.

Or think of it like this: envision you have a treasure map showing a dashed line leading through some area and concluding at an X. The instructions leading you along to the X are clues, and references to other things on the map are hints.

All nine clues are in the 2-4 stanzas. Hints are in the other stanzas.
01-11-2018, 10:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-11-2018, 10:14 AM by fundamental design.)
(01-11-2018, 05:40 AM)AccountAtAGlance Wrote: A primary definition of hint is 'an indirect, covert, or helpful suggestion; clue'
source: dictionary.com

So, hint and clue are synonymous. Many of the elements of the poem may not in fact be hints or clues, but confirmations which reinforce correct interpretations. From this perspective, it may be that what many have referred to as hints are better seen as confirmations. If Forrest Fenn reveals information about the trail to the treasure which only makes sense to a searcher who already has correctly solved one of the poem's clues, like transmuting warm water into a hot lead, is that information a hint (clue) or a confirmation? Without understanding the poem, does anyone really have the faintest idea as to the significance of Forrest Fenn's cryptic mumbo jumbo?

I’m trying to understand your thinking. I get confused when you start off talking about many elements of the poem may not be hints or clues but instead confirmations. Then you say it may be that what many have referred to as hints are better seen as confirmations. Could you show an example of this?...something in the poem that you think many have thought was a hint that instead could be confirmation.

Then you start talking about possible information from f outside the poem and then ask if that information is possible hints, clues or confirmation...f’s cryptic mumbo jumbo. That’s different than elements of the poem.
-.-..The keeper of the key
01-11-2018, 10:42 AM,
my understanding of a "clue" is something that gets you closer to the chest.
for example- if you've been wise and found the blaze- would be a hint, not a clue, because no where in that verse does it help you to get closer to the chest, but instead it hints that you need to find the blaze. IMO
01-11-2018, 11:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-11-2018, 11:37 AM by FennMaster.)
AccountAtAGlance,

I believe you are correct that what you are trying to change to "confirmations", Forrest and the search community are calling "hints".
In the chase clues and hints are not direct synonyms.

synonym definition:
a word or phrase that means exactly or nearly the same as another word or phrase in the same language, for example shut is a synonym of close.

Even the definition of a synonym allows leeway for clues and hints to have slightly different meanings.

But it is Fenn's show and he clearly has a different definition for what me means by hints vs. clues. Although, it may not be clear to all searchers.
I don't think it's a good idea to start redefining terminology 7 or 8 years into the chase; if that is what you're trying to do?

Skol Vikings!!