Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The consensus question
01-12-2018, 05:44 AM,
The consensus question
Do you think there could ever be a consensus regarding the location of the treasure before someone provides proof of such, or Fenn reveals the location? Fenn takes satisfaction in knowing he is the only one who knows where the treasure is, but has acknowledged (I may be wrong) the possibility that someone could recover the treasure and he would not know. I'm not interested in the question of whether or not Fenn might, for any reason, reveal the location. I'm simply suggesting that other people might also protect the location just for preserving the feeling of knowing something nobody else knows. Someone could prove they have the treasure, but not reveal the secret where. So, to reiterate the question, could there ever be a consensus on the location with no hard evidence that the treasure ever was at the proposed place?
01-12-2018, 07:04 AM,
RE: The consensus question
There isnt even a consensus on the state the chest is in, let alone the location. So, no.
01-12-2018, 07:46 AM,
(01-12-2018, 05:44 AM)AccountAtAGlance Wrote: Do you think there could ever be a consensus regarding the location of the treasure before someone provides proof of such, or Fenn reveals the location? Fenn takes satisfaction in knowing he is the only one who knows where the treasure is, but has acknowledged (I may be wrong) the possibility that someone could recover the treasure and he would not know. I'm not interested in the question of whether or not Fenn might, for any reason, reveal the location. I'm simply suggesting that other people might also protect the location just for preserving the feeling of knowing something nobody else knows. Someone could prove they have the treasure, but not reveal the secret where. So, to reiterate the question, could there ever be a consensus on the location with no hard evidence that the treasure ever was at the proposed place?

I believe enough evidence can be provided that the poem was solved without giving away the location of the treasure. But in doing so would compromise his architectural design of the poem.
01-12-2018, 08:55 AM,
(01-12-2018, 05:44 AM)AccountAtAGlance Wrote: Do you think there could ever be a consensus regarding the location of the treasure before someone provides proof of such, or Fenn reveals the location? Fenn takes satisfaction in knowing he is the only one who knows where the treasure is, but has acknowledged (I may be wrong) the possibility that someone could recover the treasure and he would not know. I'm not interested in the question of whether or not Fenn might, for any reason, reveal the location. I'm simply suggesting that other people might also protect the location just for preserving the feeling of knowing something nobody else knows. Someone could prove they have the treasure, but not reveal the secret where. So, to reiterate the question, could there ever be a consensus on the location with no hard evidence that the treasure ever was at the proposed place?

It seems you're asking if the chase will have some form of immortality even if the chest is found, but the location never revealed. I've pondered that a few times, even dreamed of the scenario where I find it and because the location is so special, I can't bring myself to reveal his special place.

I'll skip the debate about whether it should be revealed and just add my two cents about what might happen if the finder of the gold decides to keep it a secret. The first few months after it's been found will see a decent level of activity on the blogs, but it would dwindle rapidly because this chase is much different than Fandando, Masquerade, etc.... The Fenn Treasure lacks a bonafide treasure book that holds the clues. We all believe TTOTC holds the secrets to the poem, but Fenn has been vague on whether it's needed and whether it truly holds any value. The other hunts had puzzles and pages in a book to decipher that promised to lead you to the treasure, but this chase has a poem; a vague poem that can point to thousands of places in the Rockies. This lack of a guaranteed source of solution information, however cryptic or difficult, is both it's greatest weakness and greatness strength and means it's shelf life is much different than those other hunts in the event the chest is recovered.

Once the chest is recovered, why would anyone continue to create solutions when the only confirmation of a correct solve is the chest. As Fenn tells us in clear language - you won't know you have the first clue correct until you have the chest. If the chest is missing, there is no more chase. It will be fun reading all the solves that are posted once we know it's no longer out there and a few of these solves might be ranked higher in public opinion, but with no chest there is no confirmation. Maybe your original wording is spot on, there could be a consensus for a second place finisher with a "can't possibly be wrong solve," but I'm skeptical given the vagueness of the poem.
01-12-2018, 10:21 AM,
If someone found the treasure and proves it, but doesn't say where he/she found it, then no there would be no consensus on where it was found.
01-12-2018, 10:46 AM,
(01-12-2018, 08:55 AM)Indy Wrote:

It seems you're asking if the chase will have some form of immortality even if the chest is found, but the location never revealed. I've pondered that a few times, even dreamed of the scenario where I find it and because the location is so special, I can't bring myself to reveal his special place.

I'll skip the debate about whether it should be revealed and just add my two cents about what might happen if the finder of the gold decides to keep it a secret. The first few months after it's been found will see a decent level of activity on the blogs, but it would dwindle rapidly because this chase is much different than Fandando, Masquerade, etc.... The Fenn Treasure lacks a bonafide treasure book that holds the clues. We all believe TTOTC holds the secrets to the poem, but Fenn has been vague on whether it's needed and whether it truly holds any value. The other hunts had puzzles and pages in a book to decipher that promised to lead you to the treasure, but this chase has a poem; a vague poem that can point to thousands of places in the Rockies. This lack of a guaranteed source of solution information, however cryptic or difficult, is both it's greatest weakness and greatness strength and means it's shelf life is much different than those other hunts in the event the chest is recovered.

Once the chest is recovered, why would anyone continue to create solutions when the only confirmation of a correct solve is the chest. As Fenn tells us in clear language - you won't know you have the first clue correct until you have the chest. If the chest is missing, there is no more chase. It will be fun reading all the solves that are posted once we know it's no longer out there and a few of these solves might be ranked higher in public opinion, but with no chest there is no confirmation. Maybe your original wording is spot on, there could be a consensus for a second place finisher with a "can't possibly be wrong solve," but I'm skeptical given the vagueness of the poem.

*One exception to this would be if the finder left behind a 2nd prize. That would be my strategy if I wanted to keep it quiet and keep it going. A nice 2nd prize is fair to reward those who continue.
01-12-2018, 12:39 PM,
(01-12-2018, 10:46 AM)Indy Wrote: *One exception to this would be if the finder left behind a 2nd prize. That would be my strategy if I wanted to keep it quiet and keep it going. A nice 2nd prize is fair to reward those who continue.

Intresting you said that...
I been welding up a pretty good size stick man to stand up in the 10 inch hole i leave behind. Smile
01-12-2018, 12:48 PM,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00zuDUNTeXM
01-12-2018, 01:10 PM,
(01-12-2018, 12:48 PM)Buddy Allen Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00zuDUNTeXM

ya gotta love arrowsmith,their best music came after night in the ruts when they finally got clean,and steven tyler can still bolt out some lyrics
01-12-2018, 08:26 PM,
(01-12-2018, 08:55 AM)Indy Wrote: ... I'm skeptical given the vagueness of the poem.

I do believe the poem, just by itself, can be considered quite vague. If details of the poem are associated strongly with a map, however, the picture could become quite a bit more focused. Is there a possibility that such an interpretation, not yet widely known, could establish a consensus?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  5 years...no consensus romeofoxtrot 40 18,952 04-23-2016, 12:42 PM
Last Post: romeofoxtrot
  What was the general consensus on this object? true north 38 8,567 04-15-2015, 10:05 AM
Last Post: boomergirl