Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shooting Meadowlarks
01-27-2014, 11:29 AM,
Shooting Meadowlarks
Here's an article that is pretty spot-on concerning Forrest's tale of shooting meadowlarks with a bb gun:

http://pearl.uhv.edu/utils/getfile/colle...mbed%20src=

Halogetter
01-27-2014, 01:33 PM,
Shooting Meadowlarks
Heck both my brother and I would shoot meadowlarks right along with the doves and mom would put all the birds in a cake pan and pour mushroom soup over them and bake them. All that is there is the breast meat because that's all that is of either bird . you breast them out when you clean them.Also we had a big cottonwood tree in our front yard that would fill up with black birds Dad would step out the door and shoot a basket full of them with the shotgun. Mom liked to fix those but would pour brown gravy on them. They are a really dark meated bird more so than the dove. the meadow lark is a little more dark meated than the dove also. Both are quite good to eat. Also we lived right on the river and in the summertime or early fall the coons would come into the sweetcorn patch and pull all the corn down off the stalk Dad would trap them and I've eaten more than a few of those also. They taste halfway between chicken and pork but the meat is a little stringy.
01-27-2014, 02:01 PM,
Shooting Meadowlarks
Well, I guess I will have to hide my pet coon if you come around. :-)

Maybe we could find you a porcupine for dinner instead. I hear they are delicious.

01-27-2014, 03:12 PM,
Shooting Meadowlarks
Nora That's funny no porcupine for me. And Mom has passed away and Dad is eighty something. I haven't done anything like that in years but I do relate to others that grew up like that. I can understand if you don't relate to any of this. I don't imagine you grew up with it or have experienced any of that kind of life.
01-27-2014, 03:53 PM,
Shooting Meadowlarks
Mom used to tell me stories like that. She tells me they also used to harvest tumbleweed shoots to cook for a source of some vitamin.You do what you have to do.
Shhh they aren't listening.
01-27-2014, 05:54 PM,
Shooting Meadowlarks
They make it sound tasty. I do some hunting but it's hard for me to see any bird as game.
01-27-2014, 07:26 PM,
Shooting Meadowlarks
One of my favorite places to eat served smoke quail, it was delicious. I imagine its all about how its prepared.
Shhh they aren't listening.
01-28-2014, 04:14 PM,
Shooting Meadowlarks
Diced Robin meat and Porcini mushrooms make a great spaghetti sauce.
08-09-2014, 09:45 AM,
Shooting Meadowlarks
Fenn's BB gun rifle site was a little off so he had to adjust for that... I tried to adjust for that also when searching and wasn't successful.

Big Grin
08-09-2014, 09:55 AM,
Shooting Meadowlarks
Glock ....A buck site is hard to adjust to because of the way your looking at it . Right is left and left is right. Maybe you adjusted the wrong direction . If at first you don't succeed . Try try and try again.