Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poem Purist
01-27-2014, 04:31 PM,
Poem Purist
What is a poem purist? I am not sure.

I mean that I know what a poem purist <i>should mean</i>, what I think it is, but I am not sure that is what other people mean when they say ‘I am a poem purist’

I have put a lot of thought into this, considered all the different possible angles …. what ‘everything you need is in the poem’ would mean, what clues are in the poem, and how they compare to clues or hints outside of the poem.

I would say with certainty that <i>I am a poem purist</i>.

However I have not been saying in anything I post that I am a poem purist because I get the feeling that the meaning this conveys to some people is not what I mean by it. They take it to mean something else.

I am wondering what some folks mean when they say it, and if perhaps they are really applying the phrase logically to their position.

and if the postion they hold, which differentiates them from other searches, cannot really be defined by saying ‘poem purist’, perhaps there is better and different language that could be used to define their position.

I know I am only talking in general terms to this point so this is bringing me to the purpose of this post, which is how I see more specifically the book and the poem and other hints….. and if it breaks down like the way I describe, it almost makes saying ‘poem purist’ irrelevant … or let me put it like this, it makes it such that saying ‘poem purist’ doesn’t really make you any different then how most all other searchers approach it.

It would only mean a difference between a poem purist and someone who holds an extreme point of view on the other end of the spectrum. An extreme opposite point of view would be like this …

someone thinks there are addt’l important clue(s) that lead to the treasure, and they are not in the poem, and can only be found outside the poem, whether that be the book or otherwise.

Ok so I will try to explain as precisely as I can how I think this puzzle is constructed.

Everything that is needed, all clues, hints etc., it is all there in the poem. When I say everything, I mean everything. If you had nothing else, only the poem, it would be possible to locate, as precisely as is necessary, the location of the chest.

There are hints in the book. Every hint in the book is there to help with clues in the poem. The clue in the poem could be located and understood completely without the book, but if you see something in the book as Fenn has said, that seems out of place, it may help you to find or understand a clue in the poem.

The poem was constructed such that, if clues are found and solved, they can be understood and followed with confidence. like the dust cover said, unlock the clues, when you unlock a clue in the poem, it comes with that knowledge, that you’ve indeed unlocked something.

So all the clues are in the poem, and there are hints in the book and some more hints have been given outside the book,<i> but these hints are not addt’l clues</i>, because all the clues are all in the poem already, and every hint is to help with a clue, and the clues lead to the treasure.

Just think of it like, all you had is the poem, and you know all the clues are there, and you are sitting there trying to figure it out, and someone comes along who already knows the solution and all the clues, and they decide to throw some hints at you to help solve the poem.

If you find a hint in the book, you are not going to know with any kind of confidence that it relates to the location of the treasure, but if you find the corresponding clue in the poem, then you do.

If I have explained my position and opinion on this clearly enough then my questions would be these.

Is there any reason to think that I am not a poem purist? As far as I can tell, I am a poem purist.

Is there anyone who is a poem purist who would say they disagree with something here? And I’m not trying to get at that someone would disagree with any point I made, <i>but more specifically do you disagree with something because of being a poem purist. </i>

I don’t see how, but if you do please explain how, and please try to read and understand my meaning before responding.

We know that there are hints besides the poem. This has been clearly stated.

Saying you are a poem purist would be taking a position, a point of view. This is not the same as making a decision that one feels is advantageous to finding the treasure.

If someone knows there are hints in the book, but decides they should ignore them and focus only on the poem, there are some good reasons to do this. This is not related to believing in poem purism though if you think about it. If you believe the poem is pure and all you need, you could focus only on the poem or you could choose to recognize there are hints outside the poem and look for the hints also

… either way the point of view on the poem is the same, so both people are poem purists.

One possible opinion that disagrees with poem purism would be… someone thinks there is an addt’l clue, that helps lead to the treasure, it is found outside the poem, and it is not in the poem.

anyone who thinks that is not a poem purist, and I would disagree with this idea. I just don’t think its true that any such clue or hint exists. Every clue that leads to the treasure is in the poem, and nothing exists outside the poem, that doesn’t already exist in the poem.

01-27-2014, 04:50 PM,
Poem Purist
I'm just curious....if someone pointed you to an undeniable clue that is outside of the poem (in TTOTC), would you still be a poem purist?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.
01-27-2014, 04:55 PM,
Poem Purist

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
<b>Quote from Chris Yates on January 27, 2014, 4:31 pm</b>

It would only mean a difference between a poem purist and someone who holds an extreme point of view on the other end of the spectrum. An extreme opposite point of view would be like this …

someone thinks there are addt’l important clue(s) that lead to the treasure, and they are not in the poem, and can only be found outside the poem, whether that be the book or otherwise.

Ok so I will try to explain as precisely as I can how I think this puzzle is constructed.

Everything that is needed, all clues, hints etc., it is all there in the poem. When I say everything, I mean everything. If you had nothing else, only the poem, it would be possible to locate, as precisely as is necessary, the location of the chest.

There are hints in the book. Every hint in the book is there to help with clues in the poem. The clue in the poem could be located and understood completely without the book, but if you see something in the book as Fenn has said, that seems out of place, it may help you to find or understand a clue in the poem.

The poem was constructed such that, if clues are found and solved, they can be understood and followed with confidence. like the dust cover said, unlock the clues, when you unlock a clue in the poem, it comes with that knowledge, that you’ve indeed unlocked something.

So all the clues are in the poem, and there are hints in the book and some more hints have been given outside the book,<i> but these hints are not addt’l clues</i>, because all the clues are all in the poem already, and every hint is to help with a clue, and the clues lead to the treasure.

Just think of it like, all you had is the poem, and you know all the clues are there, and you are sitting there trying to figure it out, and someone comes along who already knows the solution and all the clues, and they decide to throw some hints at you to help solve the poem.

If you find a hint in the book, you are not going to know with any kind of confidence that it relates to the location of the treasure, but if you find the corresponding clue in the poem, then you do.

If I have explained my position and opinion on this clearly enough then my questions would be these.

Is there any reason to think that I am not a poem purist? As far as I can tell, I am a poem purist.

Is there anyone who is a poem purist who would say they disagree with something here? And I’m not trying to get at that someone would disagree with any point I made, <i>but more specifically do you disagree with something because of being a poem purist. </i>

I don’t see how, but if you do please explain how, and please try to read and understand my meaning before responding.

We know that there are hints besides the poem. This has been clearly stated.

Saying you are a poem purist would be taking a position, a point of view. This is not the same as making a decision that one feels is advantageous to finding the treasure.

If someone knows there are hints in the book, but decides they should ignore them and focus only on the poem, there are some good reasons to do this. This is not related to believing in poem purism though if you think about it. If you believe the poem is pure and all you need, you could focus only on the poem or you could choose to recognize there are hints outside the poem and look for the hints also

… either way the point of view on the poem is the same, so both people are poem purists.

One possible opinion that disagrees with poem purism would be… someone thinks there is an addt’l clue, that helps lead to the treasure, it is found outside the poem, and it is not in the poem.

anyone who thinks that is not a poem purist, and I would disagree with this idea. I just don’t think its true that any such clue or hint exists. Every clue that leads to the treasure is in the poem, and nothing exists outside the poem, that doesn’t already exist in the poem.
</div>

I personally don't think the notion of "poem purist" makes any sense. It is impossible to solve the poem without external references.

Imagine someone believed that the poem produced the following two pair of numbers.

By your definition a poem purist should not go to those coordinates because latitude and longitude were not defined within the poem. The poem has to lead to a specific point on the earth's surface and the earth's surface is not part of the poem. You're forced to use something existing in the culture, not to mention the English language unless you're not interpreting the marks on the page as being letters in the Roman alphabet and the sequences of letters as being words in English.

01-27-2014, 05:10 PM,
Poem Purist
I don't think the log/lat makes sense. If you can get there with the poem alone...then the numbers don't matter. I've had "poem purist" solutions before. I had gone to Tarryall, Colorado. Tarry for obvious reasons. So that word in the poem brought me to that town. I went to the reservoir by using words in the poem alone. There was a beautiful canyon, there was a pond that was used by a fishing club to raise fish(his secret fishing spot) which I used for warm water. There was a graveyard you passed. The dam was heavy loads and water high, but since then, the structure clue takes that out as a possibility. Still could be around there...but not using the dam.

So I think maybe that's what he's telling us to do...think for yourselves and not go with the stories in the book. I did have subtle clues relating to the book....like there was a bison farm on this road...and there was a few other similar clues...but it didn't matter if those were there or not for the poem to work. I do believe I could go back and find something else for heavy loads...and there is something that pulls me to Colorado to search. I think it's because he doesn't really ever mention it...but when the reporter asked if she could exclude it..he said no in an excited way.
01-27-2014, 05:16 PM,
Poem Purist

<b>Quote from John Brown on January 27, 2014, 4:55 pm</b>

I personally don't think the notion of "poem purist" makes any sense. It is impossible to solve the poem without external references.

Imagine someone believed that the poem produced the following two pair of numbers.

By your definition a poem purist should not go to those coordinates because latitude and longitude were not defined within the poem. The poem has to lead to a specific point on the earth's surface and the earth's surface is not part of the poem. You're forced to use something existing in the culture, not to mention the English language unless you're not interpreting the marks on the page as being letters in the Roman alphabet and the sequences of letters as being words in English.
</div>

im not sure what definition you are referring to.

it looks like you're talking about what the definition of a clue would be or how to interpret a clue or numbers if you found them.

what should you conclude if you found such numbers like the ones you mentioned? i don't know, ill leave that up to you

I didnt talk about what the definition of clues would be or how to interpret them, i defined the poem as having all the clues necessary to find the treasure. that was one definition i gave here.

01-27-2014, 05:22 PM,
Poem Purist

<b>Quote from Milan on January 27, 2014, 4:50 pm</b>

I'm just curious....if someone pointed you to an undeniable clue that is outside of the poem (in TTOTC), would you still be a poem purist?

</div>

If someone pointed me to an undeniable clue outside the poem, and it wasn't a clue in the poem(i will assume thats what you meant), then yes it would change my mind

i was not a poem purist previously, i believed that there were important clues in the book that you needed to find the treasure, and they were not in the poem

so i have found evidence that changed my mind and now im a poem purist and this post pretty much represents what i currently believe

so since i changed my mind before, i can and would change it again if i was shown to be wrong

01-27-2014, 05:25 PM,
Poem Purist

<b>Quote from admin on January 27, 2014, 5:10 pm</b>

I think it's because he doesn't really ever mention it...but when the reporter asked if she could exclude it..he said no in an excited way.
</div>

an excited way?

were you there when he was answering this question, or did you find out about this info some other way?

01-27-2014, 05:29 PM,
Poem Purist
No that was on the Today Show...that Janet lady asked if she could tell us he would exclude Colorado and he looked sort of frazzled that she would ask that I thought..maybe he just laughed...and he's like nooo. I don't know if there's a clip anywhere of that clue...I'm guessing it's when he took out Idaho and Utah.
01-27-2014, 05:33 PM,
Poem Purist
@admin, i remember that clip too, i said "hmmmm" too on that one, but I have since dismissed it as Fenn just being caught off-guard.

I would love to start a blog that contained all known videos with highlights of what he said. Wish I had time for that.
01-27-2014, 05:38 PM,
Poem Purist

<b>Quote from Milan on January 27, 2014, 4:50 pm</b>

</div>
If your solution is in New Mexico and mine is in Wyoming and your sure about yours and I'm sure about mine then we have a problem Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are you a purist, or a hypocrit? Tony 38 12,715 01-09-2016, 05:15 PM
Last Post: Tony