Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
chalk
02-13-2018, 10:31 AM,
chalk
A while back some guy insisted that the chest was hidden near Chalk Creek in southern CO. His reasoning was that there's a Chalk Creek in southern CO and Fenn wrote: "But I know that as the seasons slowly change and the leaves of
life fall and are reborn anew, so do the names of those who wade those
waters and chalk the memories once again, this time for themselves."
in TTOTC. Thus CHALK! CHALK! CHALK! If you restrict your attention to streams only,
(streams mean flowing water: rivers, creeks etc), there are 8,11, and 3 Chalk Streams in CO, WY, and MT respectively. If you're searching in YNP because he mentions "Yellowstone" why did you not consider the Colorado Yellowstone Creeks?

Of course the additional problem with chalk is that it's an awful lot to hang one's hat on given that it is mentioned only once in the book. And of course, if you go beyond streams the number of features with chalk in their name shoots up to nearly 200.

The point isn't so much "chalk" as it is bankrupt reasoning. There are plenty such examples.

Your answer to the Yellowstone question might be "Well, Carnelian Creek is in YNP, how about that Mr Know-It-All?" My answer would then be: "So why aren't you searching in Flathead MT?"
02-13-2018, 11:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-13-2018, 02:39 PM by realistrealist.)
RE: chalk
Chalk ( /ˈtʃɔːk/) is a soft, white, porous, sedimentary carbonate rock, a form of limestone composed of the mineral calcite.

Calcite, calcite, calcite. Springs.

Smile Haha, think I emailed that to FF back in January after hearing about Nov. interview.

Thought it went well for blaze across the water from Nymph Spring for marvel gaze for alternative route through poem theory.

Thought it also linked to scrapbook about alabaster statues (another calcite name). Looking further there is the type of calcite called "onyx-marble" for the "marble glaze" fans.

"Ancient Egyptians carved many items out of calcite, relating it to their goddess Bast, whose name contributed to the term alabaster because of the close association."

"High-grade optical calcite was used in World War II for gun sights, specifically in bomb sights and anti-aircraft weaponry." Boom boom - FF shot down.

"Calcite is the primary mineral in metamorphic marble. It also occurs as a vein mineral in deposits from hot springs, and it occurs in caverns as stalactites and stalagmites." - Metamorphosis = transformed (frog, butterfly) = learned-wisdom (ok that's taking it a step too far). "If you have" been changed, found illumination. Rocky mountain geography.

Suppose if you were walking along trail near Nymph Spring and at first site of Calcite Spring, there may be some marker down in front of you.

Example clues would go:
"heavy loads and water high" - Buffalo Ford (book hint - car in creek - buffalo roped story)
"from there" - Junction Butte
"no place for the meek" - cliffs trail is along
"end ever drawing nigh" - towards The Narrows ("gut" = narrow passage/strait, synonym = "draw") - I guess Mindy was correct about the obviousness of his comments - I have "gut" feeling it'll be "end"ing nigh.
"no paddle" up creek - going down creek
"wise and found blaze" - Calcite spring
look quickly down
"tarry scant with marvel gaze" - Nymph Spring

Doubt this though :/ So many other possibilities. Would need to figure out how this route is deciphered from the poem... "Put in" "from there" is the part that throws me for a loop as I don't know how to reconcile "heavy loads..." coming before "no place for the meek." I believe last time I worked on puzzle, I started on line 4 down to line 1 back to 3 and then to 2. But the "from there" would still be out of place.
02-13-2018, 02:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-13-2018, 04:26 PM by realistrealist.)
RE: chalk
Ok, if I could make sense of it...

The semi-colon in stanza 3 is very important. It connects line 1 to line 4 and line 2 to line 3. "From there it's no place for the meek" is the opposite direction of "heavy loads and water high" describing the actual direction you would be going from Junction Butte (from there): travel opposite way of Buffalo Ford (NW) towards the cliffs overlooking Yellowstone River (or Tower) (SW). The same is the case for "the end is ever drawing nigh" and "no paddle up your creek." You are heading South towards The Narrows instead of up creek in the Yellowstone (or Lost Creek).

still thinking if that makes sense.

meh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OT - Chalk Creek camelcrush 2 966 10-06-2016, 11:16 AM
Last Post: RahRah