Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
ff's treasure - World's Deadliest Treasure Hunt
03-09-2018, 12:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-19-2018, 07:42 AM by filmguy.)
ff's treasure - World's Deadliest Treasure Hunt
Interesting article:

https://www.sciencealert.com/world-s-dea...rrest-fenn

News articles use to be about Fenn and his treasure hunt.

Looks like they are turning on him.

Another new article titled: Fool's Gold

https://www.rt.com/usa/420858-forrest-fe...hunt-gold/

^ UPDATE
03-09-2018, 12:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-09-2018, 07:50 PM by Bet.)
RE: ff's treasure - World's Deadliest Treasure Hunt
I think people outside of the Fenn treasure hunt community will have a very different perspective of the chase. This article doesn’t even have the other death listed. I forget his name, anyone?.....he drowned in a creek in Yellowstone.
03-09-2018, 12:41 PM,
There's that and I think some people defend Fenn just because its the opposite stance as some other searchers.
03-09-2018, 12:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-09-2018, 12:59 PM by filmguy.)
(03-09-2018, 12:42 PM)rmx63 Wrote: Since 2011, 21 people have died in Rocky Mountain National Park, eight of those fatalities coming in 2014 alone. While grim, Rocky Mountain's annual death toll pales in comparison to that of Grand Canyon National Park, which averages 12 fatalities each year.Mar 4, 2016
National park deaths rare but recurring - The Coloradoan
This is two parks mentioned in this article. How many die each year in the scope of the rocky mountains as a whole
Fenn can't be blamed for people not being prepared any more than a national park could for allowing visitors in.

I agree, but at the same time how many people are alive today because I didn't start a $10 million treasure hunt somewhere in the Everglades with little to no rules.

The Rockies can be very dangerous, especially if one isn't prepared. Yet, what brought them there in the first place? I doubt it was their love for the wilderness and fresh air, but I can't speak for the dead.
03-09-2018, 03:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-09-2018, 03:45 PM by Beavertooth.)
The title of the article and your thread are cheap sensationalism that is totally false. Many more have died searching for the Lost Dutchman's Mine. Oak Island has recorded six deaths. Ships have sunk with all hands searching for lost treasure ships. Ditto for many divers.

Altough not formally hidden treasure troves, the following are similar in nature, where less-prepared people or less cautious people died:

Many died in the California Gold Rush [Maybe over 16,000--see below]. (Indirectly, some have estimated 100,000 Native Americans were killed as part of "protecting" the Gold rushers.) Hundreds or thousands died in the Klondike Gold Rush. Many died in other gold and silver rushes. Many died in the Oklahoma Land Rush (a treasure hunt of sorts: 12,000 parcels of 160 acres for over a 100,000 rushers).

A lot of people were even murdered by thieves, or over disputes and claims in the above cases. Hopefully that will not happen in the Fenn treasure hunt.

And as has been mentioned, many die every year in the National Parks, as people seek out that other treasure -- nature at its finest. Fenn has also encouraged families to explore the great outdoors. Should he be saddled with the responsibility if something bad happens to them? How about travel writers? Maybe we should jail all of them.

Be careful out there, people.
________
Edit --
""These figures show the amount of property that has been destroyed, or the amount of losses that have been sustained in California, by accidents, mishaps and mismanagement, within the last six years. I will, moreover, give a list of lives lost by violent measures during the same period (1849-1854) :

Murders 4,200
Suicides 1,400
Insanity, (produced by disappointment and misfortune)... 1,700
Wrecked and perished on the way per sailing vessels and steamers 2,200
Killed by Indians and died of starvation per overland route, 1,600
Perished in the mines and mountains of the State for want
of medical attention and food, and by the hands of the
Indians 5,300

Total 16,400" -From California The Land of Gold - Hinton R. Helper (1855)"
03-09-2018, 07:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-09-2018, 07:58 PM by Bet.)
(03-09-2018, 07:44 PM)legacyhelper Wrote:
(03-09-2018, 12:21 PM)filmguy Wrote: Interesting article:

News articles use to be about Fenn and his treasure hunt.

Looks like they are turning on him.

Another new article titled: Fool's Gold

What a pile of crap! I spotted 3 incorrect things in that article. And
you posted 2 links to it . . . as if reading it twice will be more convincing
than reading it just once.

I think this may be a case of "sour grapes". Maybe you can't solve the
poem, so you think a good way to spend your time is to attack FF or the
hunt (opportunity, adventure, challenge) ?

I'm NOT going to suggest that you read my posting lots of times, because
what I say is not likely to "sink in" through a thick skull that has no
substantially functional contents. But I will "put you on ignore". And
in case you're wondering, I haven't watched any videos created by you
in a long, long time. For good reason.

Good luck to you. Maybe you will some day learn from all this.

One thing I'd like to know is why anybody thinks it's important that this
guy who fell was specifically on a hunt for the FF treasure. I think a
major investigation should be conducted to learn what quantity of socks
the guy was wearing. In fact, it might be surprising to learn how many
people die wearing that same quantity of socks.

About the hunt . . . there are ("little") whiners -- lots of them. But there will be only one (big) "winner" in finding/retrieving the TC. Meanwhile, a
lot of folks, including me, have "won" an adventure, experience, and some
nice memories of solving and searching. If not for this huntt, I would have
never seen a wild coyote, the blaze, or the paddle.
I think that’s great you have seen a coyote. Hard to imagine someone has never seen a coyote before. Just shows how different we all are. Different opinions different life perspectives.
03-09-2018, 08:49 PM,
(03-09-2018, 07:44 PM)legacyhelper Wrote: ...About the hunt . . . there are ("little") whiners -- lots of them. But there will be only one (big) "winner" in finding/retrieving the TC. Meanwhile, a
lot of folks, including me, have "won" an adventure, experience, and some
nice memories of solving and searching. If not for this hunt, I would have
never seen a wild coyote, the blaze, or the "paddle" (within about a mile
of where the coyote was when I saw it).

+LIKE
------------------------------------------------------------------
"The search is supposed to be fun. f"
03-09-2018, 09:11 PM,
(03-09-2018, 12:57 PM)filmguy Wrote: The Rockies can be very dangerous, especially if one isn't prepared. Yet, what brought them there in the first place? I doubt it was their love for the wilderness and fresh air, but I can't speak for the dead.

When did we all seem to abandon a sense of responsibility for our own health and safety? When did an injury or death in the wilderness become someone else's fault? Why is ANYONE pointing a finger at ANYONE other then the people who died?? If you go into the wilderness, you AUTOMATICALLY assume responsibility for your own well being and it does NOT matter why you went in.

Sheesh.
03-09-2018, 09:27 PM,
This is so ridiculous.

I'm ashamed of my generation. (very hard not to get political here) Our society has become such a bunch of pansies - nanny state - whatever the __ft and R_NOs could accomplish over many recent and painful years.

I can't even imagine what it must have been like to have to go shoot birds to have dinner in the 30's.

Instead, we sue anybody possible for burning our lips on coffee that is too hot.

You know what, stay away from the Rockies - it's too dangerous - you can't handle it. Go play Xbox instead.
------------------------------------------------------------------
"The search is supposed to be fun. f"
03-09-2018, 09:37 PM,
When I first found the blaze, I "looked quickly down" and saw a rock layer that could perfectly hide a chest. The rock layer was perched on a ledge of sandstone that, depending on your tolerance for exposure, was or was not dangerous. I kept playing the line "if you are brave" in my mind over and over while gazing at the ledge. I finally decided that I was brave, but not stupid, so I hiked out one hour, drove home 3 hours and returned the next day (3 hour drive + 1 hour hike) with my climbing rope and gear to make SURE I was safe. I have since been on that ledge many times without a rope and have decided it is not dangerous.

The point is that too many people are unwilling to go the extra mile or two to stay safe. They choose to cut corners, and then want to blame someone else for the consequences of their actions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FF's treasure is hidden ... HOW? Becky from WV 45 5,043 55 minutes ago
Last Post: astree
  What if you find the treasure chest? Andrew Jef 11 1,179 11-16-2018, 09:21 PM
Last Post: The Texan
  Fenn Treasure Hunters Point of View Blazehunter 18 1,622 10-28-2018, 09:11 PM
Last Post: total1ty
  The Treacherous Treasure Hunt of Forrest Fenn filmguy 0 664 09-10-2018, 06:14 PM
Last Post: filmguy
  Cowlazars get a treasure chest! mdc777 0 614 09-09-2018, 11:34 PM
Last Post: mdc777
  Buzzfeed's take on the Fenn Treasure tyounis 0 999 09-07-2018, 06:54 PM
Last Post: tyounis