Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Search Season Anticipation
03-15-2018, 10:19 PM,
2018 Search Season Anticipation
We're just weeks away from the start of The FF Search Season 2018. Woohoo!

This will be my first actual BOTG unless it's confirmed found. I give myself about a 1/3 chance of being right, mainly because the site doesn't jump out at me as particularly appealing.

It seems almost accepted that it will be found this year. I don't know if that happens every year or if this year is unusual. But there have been some searcher hints flashing around that make me think there's something to it besides Mr F's gut feeling.

Anyways, let's start discus our plans as much as we can. Do you think this is the year? Is it clear to you why he chose the site, or are you surprised and curious about his choice? And how much precision does you solve lead you to (for me, it's probably a few hundred yards since, like he says, GE won't help with the final clue.
03-16-2018, 09:54 AM,
RE: 2018 Search Season Anticipation
(03-15-2018, 11:17 PM)JP Wrote: I'm quite sure it will be recovered in the next couple months.
The site didn't surprise me at all.
Precision? It points to an EXACT coordinate on the map.
That's why he said to bring a GPS.
It's not a general area where you need to look around when you get there. Park your car and walk the several hundred feet into the woods. Is it buried? Only he knows that. But it's somehow hidden.
So you can go to the spot. When you get to your pre-determined coordinates, you'll either be standing on it or will be able to lob a rock and hit it. THAT'S how close you'll be and you'll know it's the right location because all the other possibilities eliminated themselves by being out of the search area or out of elevation range or not easily accessible.
Ten possibilities. Only one that fits all crieria.
Good luck.

If you mean there are coordinate numbers in the poem, that's not what I'm seeing.

For me, the eighth clue is an area that you get to and then it's not clear if the ninth clue is an exact spot or a reference of where to examine in that area. He said something to the effect that Google Earth won't help with the last clue. If I had exact coordinates down to several feet, I would go there right away.
03-16-2018, 10:22 AM,
RE: 2018 Search Season Anticipation
(03-16-2018, 12:39 AM)Andrew Jef Wrote: If the place you plan to search doesn't grab you with a very high degree
of confidence in your solve, your chance of finding the TC is likely to
be less than 1/3, in my opinion. But the search trip and the overall experience of solving and searching should still be exciting, worthwhile,
and memorable, as mine (3 search trips so far) were.

I believe that the TC will be found this year, but not within the next 2 months. The ground may be icy, snowy, wet, or muddy for quite a while
yet -- and slippery, particularly where sloping.

It is clear to me why FF chose the site he did. My solve strongly
suggests that my "fine-toothed comb" detailed-search area is relatively small and should be thoroughly searchable in less than 15 minutes, once
I have arrived there on foot.

I wish you good health and good luck.

1/3 is pretty high confidence considering thousands have gone looking.

I'm confident that I have valid interpretations of the clues and I was surprised when I could finally match them to spots on the map. But, there could be many other ways to interpret each clue. Some of my earlier interpretations changed based on what's on the map. In other words, there is not a unique spot for each clue, and there could be more than one place where they all come together closely on the map.

What puzzles me is why he would pick this area. It's nice, but no wow factor.
But that's just me, someone else might think it is wonderful.

The other thing is that many things from the book that I thought might be hints, didn't factor in. Maybe I got carried away thinking everything could factor in to the poem solve.

So at this point while the conditions outside are not favorable I'm trying to poke holes in my own solve, seeing if I missed anything or if I stretched any of the clues too far.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  8/31/2018 what’s the word illinoisghost 2 1,141 09-03-2018, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Mindy
  Season Over...New Hunting Season starts on March 1, 2019.....my 9 clues. Gordon Lightfoot 1 620 09-01-2018, 12:17 PM
Last Post: TheLastCrusade
  As the 8th Season draws near the End... Gordon Lightfoot 8 1,049 08-16-2018, 08:29 AM
Last Post: Daniel A
  New Question on MW, 7.28.2018 inohury 0 611 07-28-2018, 12:05 PM
Last Post: inohury
  Fennboree 2018 Windy City 3 806 06-02-2018, 01:12 AM
Last Post: Windy City
  CNBC Article, April 25 2018 astree 1 811 04-26-2018, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Beavertooth