Not logged in. Login - Register

All new registrations need to be approved manually. After registration, mail me at tyblossom at aol dot com.
ChaseChat is available for Smartphones via Tapatalk, Download the app at http://tapatalk.com/m?id=4&referer=1048173. After installing CLICK HERE to add the forum to Tapatalk.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Notes from Catcher that have connections to the chase....
04-15-2018, 07:21 PM,
Catcher in the Rye

You’ll see some HUGE connections and this is just up to Chapter 13:

Salinger once said “A writer, when he’s asked to discuss his craft, ought to get up and call out in a loud voice just the names of the writers he loves.”

Secret goldfish- pg 4
Killed me - 4
If there’s one thing I hate, it’s the movies. - 4
Big deal- 4
Cold as a witch’s teat-6
Trying to feel some kind of a goodbye- 7
Navajo blanket from Yellowstone- 9

Life is a game - page 11

It’s partly true, too, but it isn’t all true. People always think somethings all true. Page 12

Beowulf- of 13
Say something twice -pg 13

Thinking about being somewhere else—lagoon in Central Park—where do the ducks go when it’s frozen— 16

I’d never yell good luck at anybody. - 19

I’m the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. -19
Ossenvburger the undertaker owned a big Cadillac- 20
That killed me. 20
Out of Africa- isak Dinesen

Favorite author beside his brother was Ring Lardner- 21 (Ring Lardner was portrayed by John Sayles as one of the clear eyed observers that was not taken in by the Black Sox scandal—in one scene, Lardner strolls through the White Sox train, singing a parody of the song, “I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles.” Some of his works— Round Up, Champion, The Real Dope, Lose with a Smile, What of it?, horseshoes, three Kings and a pair, the jade necklace, the spinning wheel, when the moon comes over the mountain, the ides of June, Liberty Hall (the kindest thing people can do is to let you alone)

What really knocks me out is a book that, when you’re all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. 22

He always made you say everything twice-24
He didn’t say it right out - 28

Bathroom=can - 31

I’ll be up the creek if I don’t get the (paper) in by Monday - 32

Just don’t do it too good...So I mean don’t stick all the commas and stuff in the right place. 33

I hate the movies like poison, but I get a bang imitating them- 33

All I needs an audience. I’m an exhibitionist. 33
Ziegfried Follies- 34
Stradtlater says HC’s hat is “sharp.” 34
Stratlater always shaved twice. 35

Sat night dessert was Brown Betty -40
People never believe you - 42
Comedy with Cary grant-42
Brother Allie died in Maine on July 18, 1946.
Started playing golf at 10 -43

When he was teeing off, he had a feeling if he turned around, he’d see Allie. He turned around and Allie was there. 44

Some things are hard to remember. 45
You always do everything assbackwards- 46

It’s pretty hard to knock a guy out, except in the movies 51

Canasta fiend - 53

When guys gave the time to women it meant they had sex 55

Asked ackley about joining a monastery— 56
Told ackley he was “aces,” and ackley replied that HC was a wise guy 57
Didn’t bother to listen to him—just shut the door. 57

Almost every time someone gives me a present, it ends up making me sad. 58

Lady on train had nice telephone voice and should’ve carried a telephone around with her -61

Kid like Ernest wasn’t just a rat when they were a kid. They stayed a rat their whole life. 64

Once Holden started lying, he could go on for hours. 65

Mrs Hayes once told Sally that Holden was wild and had no direction in life. 67

In my mind, I’m probably the biggest sex maniac you ever saw. 70

Sex is something I really don’t understand too hot. You never know where the hell you are.70

I’m the only dumb one in the family. 75

Phoebes favorite movie is The 39 Steps

Girls- every time they do something pretty, even if they’re not much to look at or stupid, you half fall in love with them, and then you don’t know where you are. 82

...I mean 84

I mean, most girls are so dumb and all. 103

Chapter 13
Movie Sunny refers to is Captain Courageous.

Book with character monsieur Blanchard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mindy's blogs:

http://www.fennhotspot.com
http://www.myeverwonderland.blogspot.com
04-15-2018, 09:30 PM,
RE: Notes from Catcher that have connections to the chase....
I posted this on November 2, 2017, but worth mentioning for the third time:

"I posted the following about 5 weeks ago (after it had been mentioned that there would be 39 scrapbooks included in the new book):

“It’s not much of an exaggeration to say that all contemporary escapist entertainment begins with ‘The 39 Steps,’ ” Robert Towne, the screenwriter of “Chinatown,” once remarked of the 1935 Alfred Hitchcock thriller...(from the New Yorker)

It may also be a reference to the original book upon which the film was based, although the book and film plots are different in various ways. There is a somewhat famous photograph of the author (John Buchan) shown wearing a full North American Indian chief's headdress and robes when he was the Governor General of Canada.

According to wikipedia: "The "last Buchan" (as Graham Greene entitled his appreciative review) was the 1941 novel Sick Heart River (American title: Mountain Meadow), in which a dying protagonist confronts the questions of the meaning of life in the Canadian wilderness."
04-16-2018, 12:15 AM,
My only catcher ideas came from rye Colorado. A place I searched and found an interesting stamp or drawing in the ground over in the rest stop(done it tired). If someone can find that stamp and post it...it's interesting. It's like a compass. Also talks about the view of the mountains there...and back down that way is the great sand dunes. Another place I researched a lot. DG was actually told by f to go to the dunes. Some interesting info about the Creek there if you research. I believe a searcher died here last year, but was not reported as a searcher.
© Stephanie
04-16-2018, 04:14 AM,
(04-16-2018, 12:15 AM)admin Wrote: My only catcher ideas came from rye Colorado. A place I searched and found an interesting stamp or drawing in the ground over in the rest stop(done it tired). If someone can find that stamp and post it...it's interesting. It's like a compass. Also talks about the view of the mountains there...and back down that way is the great sand dunes. Another place I researched a lot. DG was actually told by f to go to the dunes. Some interesting info about the Creek there if you research. I believe a searcher died here last year, but was not reported as a searcher.

When I told F I was going to go by Liberty, near the dunes, he replied that I finally got it. After that, he publicly said it wasn’t in a desert. There are a couple very interesting spots around there that I’ve since ruled out, but doesn’t mean it couldn’t be there.

There’s a spa somewhere around there that nearly caused me to have a heart attack when I saw the sign for it.

When I was in the planning mode for the Fenn Hot Spot, F suggested a name for it. He wanted it to be called “The Joy of the Journey.” I didn’t like that name.

Well, there’s a spa near the dunes called “Joy of the Journey.”

Funny coincidence!

Mindy's blogs:

04-16-2018, 08:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-16-2018, 09:54 AM by Beavertooth.)
(04-16-2018, 04:14 AM)Mindy Wrote: There’s a spa somewhere around there that nearly caused me to have a heart attack when I saw the sign for it.

When I used to search at night using ultraviolet light ("marvel gaze", "in the wood", and "brave"), I once came upon an overhead sign deep in the woods in my target area on a very dark night. It jumped out so much at a 75-foot distance that I had a "heart attack" response, thinking I had found the "blaze". A second "heart attack" was experienced shortly thereafter as a black bear wandered by my car as I was getting ready to leave (about 10:00PM at night). Nothing there, of course, even after a daytime search the following day. And I doubt the bear was interested in me, but you never know.

Before anyone asks about "in the wood", most ultraviolet lamps in the past used "wood glass" as their outer envelope.
04-16-2018, 09:03 AM,
(04-16-2018, 12:15 AM)admin Wrote: My only catcher ideas came from rye Colorado. A place I searched and found an interesting stamp or drawing in the ground over in the rest stop(done it tired). If someone can find that stamp and post it...it's interesting. It's like a compass. Also talks about the view of the mountains there...and back down that way is the great sand dunes. Another place I researched a lot. DG was actually told by f to go to the dunes. Some interesting info about the Creek there if you research. I believe a searcher died here last year, but was not reported as a searcher.

IIRC Rye Colorado is where one of the Mexican generals attacked and killed one of the Comanche bands that had been attacking the Pueblos in what is now New Mexico. I suspect that it may have many artifacts if one (like F.F.) knew where to look.
04-16-2018, 11:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-16-2018, 11:18 AM by Mindy.)
(04-16-2018, 09:03 AM)monkeyking Wrote:

IIRC Rye Colorado is where one of the Mexican generals attacked and killed one of the Comanche bands that had been attacking the Pueblos in what is now New Mexico. I suspect that it may have many artifacts if one (like F.F.) knew where to look.

I wouldn’t be surprised. I’m finding that a lot of the old books talk about artifacts and even of things early explorers left buried around places they traveled. The early Yellowstone explorers journals are really fascinating.

Oh, a side note— a lot of good “rocking chair” info is freely available from the Library of Congress....journals, maps, stereographs—everything. Smile

Mindy's blogs:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Connections between Seventeen Dollars and TTotC Mindy 12 1,832 08-12-2018, 12:30 PM
Last Post: pidmt
  The Secrets of San Lazaro Connections to TTotC, SB’s, MW Part 1 Mindy 37 3,923 07-05-2018, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bet
  Catcher McFly 8 907 05-20-2018, 04:19 PM
Last Post: McFly
  My notes on Tenses Mindy 13 1,509 04-18-2018, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Mindy
  Notes About Sharp Mindy 4 718 04-18-2018, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Beavertooth
  Notes from Passages Three Mindy 0 320 04-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: Mindy